Trailer Door Open Legal?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DirtyBob, Nov 5, 2011.

1. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    So I've been seeing guys going down the road with the roll up style door open on their trailer. I figure they forgot to roll it back down or whatever. My question is if it's legal or not though?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    most state , no, most time they forgot too lacth it, the door has too be lacth to secure the cargo, if empty i would say it would not big a deal but thats me.

4. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I'm not sure but when I have barn doors I leave them open when I'm going 1-5 blocks between stops and no ones ever stopped me:biggrin_25523:

I always keep the freight + pallet jack secure though - load locks + straps in place.

5. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Driving over a few blocks at low speed is very bad for the door (legal aside) ! the weight of the door is now fully bouncing up and down on the rollers ! closed the rollers have little if any weight on them ! Roll doors are senistive to abuse .

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    392.9 (2) The commercial motor vehicle's tailgate, tailboard, doors, tarpaulins, spare tire and other equipment used in its operation, and the means of fastening the commercial motor vehicle's cargo, are secured.

roshea, wis bang, Wargames and 3 others Thank this.
  7. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    They're always empty. I've seen them do it a few times out of places that check to make sure you're empty when you leave so I figure they just forgot when they headed out on to the road.

Even at a place like that I close my doors until I get to security and then open them. It can't be good on the hinges(mine aren't rollup) and it's not that hard to walk 60' to open and close them again.

Thanks Condo for the reg, pretty much clears that up.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You will see Coke/Pepsi trucks (Van with roll-up door) and lift gate driving around with roll-up open, however the liftgate is secure in the "up" position.

9. andy

andy Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    MT
    I see that about everyday.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Rollup doors, especially as the latch mechanism gets old/worn will allow the door to bounce open due to road bumps. However, if the driver puts something in the hasp (where you would install a padlock) that will keep a worn latch mechanism from popping open and the door spring mechanism will work with the bumps in the road to work the door more and more open.

Nobody sees driver laziness as many places as I do, but this is probably a case of closed, but not locked doors, working them self open after the drive begins. I lost several bungee cords trying to keep rollup doors down until I realized the easy fix is to put something in the latch, where a padlock would be locked. Even a short piece of metal coat hanger bent into a U-shape will work better than a bungee cord trying to hold the door down.

11. zaptear

zaptear Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    wow really.. i have worked for Pepsi for over 2 years now.. and have never done this.. also if a Pepsi boss would see this it would be a big deal hell we had a driver get a mark on his file for not bleeding the air tanks in the start of his shift... thay have people that go out and look at you pre/port trip.. thay hide... lol i find it vary lame
    im glad im moveing on from them

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.