trailer tires sweating?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by niceguypmp3, Jul 22, 2018.

1. niceguypmp3

niceguypmp3 Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Weldon, IA
    I went to swap a 53' van trailer at a customer business the other day. It had been sitting there for about 3 weeks on concrete backed up to a dock. We have just had severely hot weather in the mid 90's for a couple of weeks and hardly no rain. When I pulled the trailer forward about 30 feet and shut the doors I noticed tire marks on the concrete, one on each side of the trailer. At first I assumed maybe the brakes were dragging, but then i remembered that it easily rolled when i let off the brakes.So I looked at the tires and one tire on each side of the trailer was "wet" with what looked like oil. When i wiped it with my gloves, then it turned the gloves black. I checked and no hub seals were leaking and everything else was dry except the tread of those 2 tires. They are older tires, probably over 5 years old.
    Any ideas what it may be? I can't find anything online about tires sweating like that. It's so weird that just those 2 tires were wet and none of the others. I'm stumped!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Had it been sitting in a very shady area where rain may have pooled around the tandems, but almost completely dried up except for the tiny residual amount trapped beneath those tires?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Is it just those two tires?

Here is a Michelin Truck tire chart Number 14 is of interest.

https://www.michelintruck.com/img/tandbmarking_fulltechinfo.pdf

Most tires built in the last 8 years or so have a number that has a two digit for a week made in and a two digit for a year made in after.

You will know you have found the correct numbers when the opposite side seems to only have "Half" of what you are reading on the other side. (This saves potential injury from tire factory workers building these tires)

Generally when you get into 6 years or more on a tire, you might as well go ahead and drop new ones in asap.

I would consider those two tires a defect needing replacment and write it up as such. There IS such a thing as tires too old to be safe in any kind of work from Airplane landing through big trucks on down to minibikes etc.

What I was hoping you might add to your description is essentially cracking like Mr Wrinkles trying to get going in the morning. That's usually the absolute final warning to replace that tire before it goes BOOM. Ive had more tire trouble on containers failing long ago than anything. (And little wonder too when really high gross weights are involved.) If the old one goes boom? Drop another on and keep going.

In your case, you are suggested to find a tire shop and drop replacements onto that trailer.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. niceguypmp3

niceguypmp3 Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Weldon, IA
    There hadn't been any rain recently and there was no water puddled under or around the tires. Everything was dry except those 2 tires which were leaving black tire tread marks on the pavement. I have never seen such a thing before. I panicked thinking 2 hub seals had went out but i looked and the seals hadn't been leaking. The entire tread all the way around those 2 tires was wet with black oily looking liquid almost like the tread was sweating oil. Weird weird weird! I'll have to look at the age of them the next time I see the trailer but I do remember that they weren't all cracked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.