Trailers with two input shafts for landing gear

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Oct 16, 2017.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Why? I can see needing to switch to the low gear and finding out the nut is frozen onto the bolt. I've been meaning to buy an extra landing gear handle and this seems like a pretty good reason if this becomes more common as this was a new trailer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Got a picture of what you are talking about? The only thing that I've ever seen is maybe a gear rod outside the casing, but it's not designed as a crank. I figured it's just cheaper to build that way as tolerances don't need to be as tight.

4. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I had a trailer that I needed to lower but it was in low gear. I was pushing and pulling on the handle trying to get it into the high gear so I removed the handle and installed it on the other shaft which was the high gear. I've never seen this before.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Sometimes the gears get jammed up. I had one that was stuck in low and wouldn't go into high range, so rather than sitting there spinning it around a million times, I moved the handle to the through shaft that links the two sides and it essentially made it high-range-only. The other input spins pretty quick, because it's still in the low range. That isn't how it is supposed to work...it's broke internally or jammed up or something. Yes, I wrote it up. I even talked to the mechanic about it when I dropped it. 6 months later, it still hasn't been fixed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.