Trailking RGN trailer TK60MG sags near the neck when loaded

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by ichudov, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I have a semi truck and a 48 ft RGN trailer. Both have functioning air bags. Trailer is Trailking TK60MG with mechanical gooseneck.

The problem is that when the RGN trailer is loaded, the front of the bed is too low to the ground. Like just 4 inches off the ground. The middle and the back look visibly okay to my uneducated eye.

My feeling on this is that something flexes and the neck bends in relation to the bed, and it "sags".

I wonder what is the proper way to address it. I thought to buy some steel wedges to insert when hooking up to the trailer, so that the overall sag is compensated.

Am I on the right track and does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks a lot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    most mechanical rgns use wedges of different sizes to adjust the right hight on the front of the trailer. with no wedges at all it would be set to the lowest height.

4. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I also thought along these lines, to get some wedges. Does any company sell them or it is something I need to make? Thanks

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Does the trailer have double doubts? (2 holes in bottom that go over the big round pin)

Shins under the back side of the neck can be as simple as a piece of angle iron, or a slice of pipe the right diameter can go in the front donut.

4 inches at the front should be no problem, I run a very low trailer and have little problems.

6. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Where do the wedges go? I've never seen them on a mechanical neck, I've seen the dog bones with two positions. How tall is your fifth wheel?

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  7. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Low is good

IMG_4577.JPG

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    I used to use the discarded caster adjustment wedges that are between your front leaf springs and your front axle. Any frontend shop would have them. They help take up the wear in your neck attachment.Drive them in tight with a hammer after you've hooked your neck up,but before you lift it. Under the back of the neck at the bottom,where it meets the deck. To remove them,when you unhook your neck,they'll just fall right out.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Old Man Thanks this.
  9. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thank you for explaining it for me.
    Mechanical necks all bend down when loaded, my 5th wheel is 48", standard for most trucks.

DougA Thanks this.
  10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I got the impression from the OP that the front of his trailer is lower than the rear. Could be a problem.

snowman_w900, Oxbow, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Just lower the rear, my rear tandems have five different ride height stops on the adjuster.

My trailer was made to run with a 4 inch ground clearance.

cke and SAR Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.