Training @ Prime Inc - What's Your Experience/Opinion?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by digitalscotch, Mar 21, 2023.

1. digitalscotch

digitalscotch Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2023
    Hi!
    I am going through the process of applying with Prime. I am tentatively slated to start training April 3 in Salt Lake. I have been doing research of reviews of the company and the training program. So far so good. Then I stumbled on this forum and am hoping to get some honest perspective on the company and the training opportunity if possible.

My background - entrepreneur 12 years owned a small company with 15+ employees. BurnedOut - Became a City Bus Operator in Portland, OR. Environment became too physically dangerous - drivers getting shot or stabbed. Took time off with unemployment. Started driving Uber. Now I'm here.

I have a CDL B with airbrakes & passenger endorsement; CDL A Permit with doubles/triples, tankers.

If you know Prime as a company or you've taken their training, I'd love to hear your opinion. Pros. Cons. What should I expect with training??

Thx.

DS

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Prime has one of the better training programs in this industry…my advice as to what you read on here..decipher it and such and should be able to weed out the bs whining vs legitimate complaints…with that being said, getting trained properly is worth its weight in gold….being you have been a business owner and such, you should be successful here.

tscottme, Chinatown and digitalscotch Thank this.
  4. digitalscotch

digitalscotch Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2023
    Thanks! I am looking forward to this next chapter. I enjoy driving and find the challenge of driving something big fun.
    To your point about weeding out whining vs legitimate complaints - I have learned to take things with a grain of salt and to maintain a healthy skepticism if something in a story seems "off". In fact, I've already done that with some of the reviews.

I do think my business acumen will help me navigate these new waters. That said, I'm going to remain a company driver until my year with Prime is completed and I have a better sense of the ins and outs of this industry.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

~ DS

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Trained properly?
    Never taught to not bump the curbing or pretrip properly.
    Obviously too lazy to even do a basic walk around :)
    59713FB2-B252-4113-8674-0CE5C0F59777.jpeg

Last Call Thanks this.
  6. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    If you have a proper trainer….

Concorde Thanks this.
  7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Some drivers can’t be trained :)

For any of you new drivers..don’t bump the curb backing into a spot.

8. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    Trust me..i know from experience..i used to be a trainer and the things i saw were unbelievable .

Concorde Thanks this.
  9. FLHT

FLHT Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Truck 11637
    Wonder how this guy figured out how to keep breathing ?

10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you haven't already--it might well be instructive/helpful if you spend some time reading some of the more relevant threads over on the Prime subforum here:

Prime | TruckersReport.com Trucking Forum | #1 CDL Truck Driver Message Board (thetruckersreport.com)

Also--very interesting/educational videos from a veteran Prime driver in their tanker group, will give you a good idea of what to expect if you join up with their tanker fleet:

Prime Inc Tanker training -- by John Ogren

Ogren has a number of videos on YouTube...most of them seem to be pretty well done and well worth your time.

-- Lual

Tadakatsu Thanks this.
  11. RetiredtruckerKW

RetiredtruckerKW Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2023
    Thank you for sharing those videos

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.