Training Trip Question - And - Average Sleeper Area Photo Request

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ken S LaTrans, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2018
    First: Can a couple of you please post pictures of the sleeper area of your average company truck? (Swift, Hunt, Etc) just so I get an idea of how they are commonly laid out.

I would really appreciate it, and thank you in advance.

Training Trip Question

When I go out with my trainer...is it going to be like a team operation, or will it be as though I am driving solo, on a solo clock/schedule with him/her as a passenger-teacher-information source?

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The pictures are a complete failure. For some reason the forums must have made changes to what I can do with living pictures hosted elsewhere on the internet.

Google Image search under search words

Tractor trailer sleeper

You should come up with thousands of pictures of all sorts of tractor trailer sleeper situations.

Do not get carried away by those that look like apartments inside your tractor trailer.

Oldironfan and SingingWolf Thank this.
  4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Im not otr anymore, so no pictures to show.

But in regards to queston 2...eaxh company is different how they train. When I was with Shaffer I drove my hours with my trainer by my side the whole time. Then he drove some when my hours were up.

5. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Some companies use solo clock, some go team. Pick carefully. You don't learn much if one of you is always asleep, and it's not very safe either.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I grabbed this image off of the internet. No the colors and diamond tuck isn't what you'll typically find inside of a Freightliner Cascadia, but the colors made it easier to see in the picture. Most closely resemble this picture.

[​IMG]

Oldironfan, CJ701 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Should show the bunk style and then focus on the top, a trainee gets the pleasure of climbing up to that spot, just do not let them stick you up there and drive while you are up there, it is a strait shot to the windscreen in case of very quick stop.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Ken S LaTrans

Aug 11, 2018
    All the searches looked like the apartments you mentioned. I looked through pages and pages of the media section here and didn't see any.

I am 6'4" and 275lbs. I am not sure anyone would want me in the top bunk if they were below me.

Hopefully, the training trip is the "average" 19 day one so my partner and I can get our poop in a groop and get ourselves situated sooner rather than later.

9. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    When I trained with Swift it was solo with trainer in the passenger seat for I think 50 hrs (was awhile ago) then team after that
    I'm 6' 3" and 250# and sleep on the top bunk when the wife is with no problem

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  10. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    when I train we sleep two deep in the bottom bunk. I always get the wall.

Samuelh Thanks this.
  11. Ken S LaTrans

Aug 11, 2018
    One of the guys in my old PD was a real, serious traffic #####, and a dick in general. He worked motors and was a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement certified officer (he was/is a serious #######). Anyway, he would roll up on drivers who were shut down and sleeping and wake them up to do a DOT inspection. I think, obviously, that this is a dick move...but have any of you ever had this happen?

Finally, the Chief, made it policy NOT to do inspections of trucks that were legally parked.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.