Transfer CDL to WA-what I need to do?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Mary345, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Mary345

Mary345 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I'm moving to Seattle, WA awt the end of the month and would like to find out what I need to do in order to transfer my CDL from another state? I have Tanker on my current CDL.
    Are they requiring any tests (written, driving, endorsement) to be taken again when moving to WA, what documents they need and should I get an appointment first or just show up?
    Called the DMV in Seattle but I could not get to a live person.

Thanks for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    You will need to sign a CDL surrender form. Self certify your Med card.
    The fees are:
    $102.00 CDL fee
    $54.00 license fee
    $35.00 application fee.
    $191.00 Total
    If you have HazMat, you have to pass HazMat knowledge test ($10.00 fee)

You can find more info at dol.wa.gov

scythe08 and Mary345 Thank this.
  4. Mary345

Mary345 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2016
    What about the address? I might be staying in a motel for the first couple of months until I find permanent home, just register the address where I'm staying?

P.S. I know it's off the subject but if live in the area any tips on any bad areas to avoid when choosing a home?

Thank you very much for your help.

5. softail

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    You can just walk in to get license. No appointment necessary. Pay by cash or debit card for fees.
    Since you have only tanker endorsement, no tests needed.

Do you already have a trucking job? If you do, that may determine where you may want to live. Seattle traffic can be hellish at any time during the day. Most of the industrial warehouses are in the south part of town from south of the stadiums to Tukwila. If your company is in the south end, then living near Renton/Kent area or Burien would not be bad. Others areas could be Des Moines, SeaTac, Normandy Park. White Center just south of Boeing Field to north of Burien can be a rough area to live in.

If you have any family or fiends in the area and use their address until you get your own place will work.

Living at hotel, you would not able to "prove" that you are WA State citizen since you can not provide any documents from the list below to prove you live in Washington State.

1 document from this list:
    • A valid WA driver license or ID card
    • Concealed weapons permit
    • Homeowner’s insurance policy or invoice showing the address of the insured property or residence
    • Home utility bill (such as gas, electricity, water, garbage, landline telephone, or cable) or hook-up work order dated within the past 60 days. A utility bill or work order isn’t acceptable if 2 unrelated people are listed.
    • Mortgage documents
    • Property tax bill or statement dated within the past 12 months
    • Your name and address in a current phone book made by a telephone book publisher
    • Moorage bill or contract showing you live on a boat in a marina
    • Federal or state government agency-issued check
    • Tribal ID that contains your current residential address
    • A filed property deed or title for your current residence
    2 documents from this list:
    • Auto insurance policy (not the proof of insurance card)
    • Washington State business license
    • Business mail dated within the past 60 days. Mail must include your first and last name, and must be from state or federal revenue Departments, the Social Security Administration, the U.S. Treasury, or the IRS. It cannot be addressed “in care of,” “for,” or “parent of.”
    • Current Washington State voter card
    • Home utility bill (such as gas, electricity, water, garbage, landline telephone, or cable) or hook-up work order dated within the past 60 days. Two or more unrelated people may be named on the bill or work order.
    • Medical record paid by insurance or a medical bill
    • Medicaid card or DSHS medical coupon
    • Pay stub that contains your name, your current residence address, your employer’s name, and your employer’ phone number or address
    • Professional license (nurse, physician, engineer, etc.)
    • Selective service card showing a Washington State address
    • Professionally-filed tax return or filed copy sent to you by the IRS for the most recent tax filing year
    • Transcript or report card for the current school year from an educational institution in Washington State
    • W-2 form for the previous year

6. Mary345

Mary345 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Thank you for the information.
    So my main priority right now is finding a nice house, found one in Des Moines just was not sure about the area but now since you mentioned it I'll press harder :)
    Thanks again !

TBonze Thanks this.
  7. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Des Moines is a nice area and a fairly strategic one to be in for finding trucking jobs. I know all the tanker companies so just PM me for advice if you want it.

Most of the tanker jobs are in Tacoma and Seattle. Avoid Tacoma (unless you go west out to say Gig Harbor or further). Also, avoid east Seattle, White Center, Kent, and up north in Everette. South of Tacoma most areas are good but the local jobs get more scarce.

Good luck!

Mary345 Thanks this.
  8. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    If I can revive this... if I have Haz-Mat in another state I just have to retake the test? No re fingerprinting, background check, $70 fee???

9. softail

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Yes, just the test. No fingerprinting/back ground check. Fingerprinting done by TSA. Cost is $10.00 for the HME Knowlegde test. If getting WA State DL for 1st time, cost is $191.00 plus HME.

Commercial driver license (CDL) More information Total
    CDL knowledge test See Knowledge test: CDL $35
    Commercial license permit (CLP) When you apply for a permit.
    See Commercial License Permit (CLP) $40
    CDL skills test See Skills test: CDL. Your test fee gets you 2 attempts. If you change examiners after your first attempt, you may have to pay the fee again. $250
    CDL skills test for school bus endorsement See CDL testing. Your test fee gets you 2 attempts. If you change examiners after your first attempt, you may have to pay the fee again. $100
    Reduced CDL skills test (Head Start only) See Skills test: CDL $225
    Add CDL endorsement to a WA driver license $10 license fee + $17 per yr for the time remaining on your license = $27 — $112
    Add CDL special endorsement to a WA driver license See:
    $10
    Transfer out-of-state CDL to a WA CDL $102 CDL fee + $54 license fee + $35application =
    See Apply for, update, or transfer your CDL
    (Fees may vary depending on your license expire day) $191
    CDL re-qualification See Commercial Driver License (CDL) disqualifications $35

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  10. yourtruckerfriend

yourtruckerfriend Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I am goin thru the same drama. I paid my hazmat test fee 35.00 and failed. Fyi its 35.00 every retest. No freebies. Also i gave the dmv my arkansas enhanced with hme and passed my hme test.then the gal said i need the letter sent from tsa for arkansas..wth? Tsa sent it to arkansas thru thier secure portal dealio...so i ask.lemme have my arkansas back til i get this straight..nope. so paper license..no hme not even a temp. I write to tsa..they send me a copy that clearly says this isnt official and dmv wont take it. That Washington state can look me up on the special portal...smh! So another 2 weeks of bustin butt up and down 5 hauling cheap n heavy and im finally goin to try again tomoro. Im so fed up with break'n my neck to get to dmv and deal with this..all my free time which should be for r and r..is spent beggin dmv and my dispatcher for a little dog gone grace here!! Wish me luck
    .i need all the help i can get..then again..for what..more rules and only 60 a load extra pay??? Seems kinda dumb tonite. I could go get my hair done or go to a movie lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.