Transmission oil change

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rideandrepair, Sep 15, 2020.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Pulling it down 30 degrees is pretty good. I getcha on the don’t need it. But you know tinkering, restoring, hotrodding, and modifying is an uncureable disease that never stops until death. Lol!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Transmission cooler on my truck is mounted under the transmission have never cleaned it and it's been under my truck since 1997..

SmallPackage and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Last truck I drove had one under sleeper. Was dented all up and basically completely covered in oil and dirt. Replaced it with new one. Didnt cool one bit better

Rideandrepair and Final Drive Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Someone stated earlier, that the cooler also helps warm in winter. I don’t see how that’s possible, unless it was a coolant type cooler. Mine must be mounted on bottom of Sleeper/Cab. I had the trans out, it’s not on the trans. It’s up there somewhere, Lol. I’ve only really noticed it a few times. Out of sight, out of mind. I wonder about the location, since this Truck did go through 2 transmissions within 1.1 mil miles. But it never gets hot. Previous Owner must have abused it. The current Trans I had installed 10 yrs ago, well over a mil now. Time will tell how much longer it lasts. I don’t know how long a 13 spd can last. This is about the longest I’ve ever ran one.

Dino soar and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    Definitely synthetic. No question there. If you're temp isn't rising over 150°f as you say, you can run without it. Mine was in front of the condensor, in front of the air-to-air, in front of the rad. Surprised anything gets any air up there. But it got significantly damaged by wildlife and my mechanic threw it out. In the heat of summer I'm finding that I'm routinely hitting 200°f in steep hills and will be replacing mine soon.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I got 5 gal Mobil 1 50w synthetic at Freightliner for $169. Not bad at all.

8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Same here. The FL dealer here always seems to have the better prices on that kind of stuff. I get Mobil 1 for the diffs from them too. For the longest time they were the cheapest price on Rotella but ever since they went 100% Detroit on the heavy or Mercedes on the medium duty trucks they don’t stock much of it anymore.

9. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I know I'm a little late to the game but how many gallons should I need for an Eaton 18? I'll be using the synthetic as well. Is there any reason to use the Lucas Slippery Juice?

My research tells me 3.5 gallons. Having never changed tranny oil, it doesn't seem all that much given the size of this thing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    . 28 pints. Or 3.5 gallons. No need for Lucas, but if so, be sure it’s synthetic Lucas. I used a gallon last time, This time, I didn’t bother. 5 gal. Pail. By the time you spill a little, Leaves at least a gallon extra. A cheap hand pump helps. Or a big funnel and a long piece of hose. Fill till it all the way till it runs out of the fill hole, on level ground.

RubyEagle and spindrift Thank this.
  11. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    You used a gallon of what, sir? Lucas?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.