transporting a purchased truck from another state.

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by thesvg, May 28, 2013.

1. thesvg

thesvg Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hey all, I bought a truck in California again. And I will pick it up next week. I am in TX, the truck is in CA. What special permit will I need so I will drive right through the scales? My last experience I got a citation for no displaying my DOT number. Should I just make a sign that says Not for Hire? Thanks in advance!!!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Polarbear857

Polarbear857 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    Easy, go around the scales or bring number stickers with you for whatever company you're going with. If its your own it'll be a lot easier

4. thesvg

thesvg Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Ill get in trouble if I use my own, im a intrastate carrier. Ive heard about these permits, some say they can be purchased at truck stops. But im in the dark on this.

5. Polarbear857

Polarbear857 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    Do you have a truck now? Piggy back it, wait I guess being intrastate that wouldn't work either. Call your state and ask them they might have more info. Or call Cali you might get info from them about s permit. Depending on how much that costs it might be worth your while to have someone ship it for you.

6. Rolling Wave

Rolling Wave Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Contact a driveway outfit or vehicle transport company......

Costs vary so shop around and let them handle it under their authority and insurance

Otherwise just take the backroads and see the countryside

7. thesvg

thesvg Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Ok, just did it like this. For every state that is involved. I took my states bill of sale and filled out a title transfer. In Arizona I bought a general use permit before going into the scale. They asked me for my dot numbers but I didnt know them. :D I purchased that permit for 15 dollars and I was on my way. Since it was a private use permit. I didnt need to stop at the scales or keep a log book. :D

8. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Next time just buy a temp. apportion tag before you go. All you need is proof of insurance. I've done it and you can even pull a trailer with it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.