Treated Sleep Apnea and Old Dominion?

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by MMR2466, Apr 30, 2012.

1. MMR2466

MMR2466 Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Eastern, PA
    Will they hire you if you are being "successfully treated" for sleep apnea?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    seeing as how it is not a disqualifying condition and you can prove compliance to the minimum FMCSA standards of at least 4 hours use a night, you should be able to be hired.

Thats not to say they wouldn't or couldn't find some other reason to not, but if that was the stated reason , you could have reason to sue.

I am most definately interested in someone with first hand company knowledge providing an answer.

4. MMR2466

MMR2466 Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Eastern, PA
    Thanks, hope you are right.

5. CAbound

CAbound Bobtail Member

May 29, 2012
    Pittsburg, KS
    ODFL does not discriminate for conditions that are being treated in compliance with the FMCSA. All they are concerned with is your MVR and pre-employment physcial exam. The pre-employment phys. exam does not release details to ODFL due to HIPAA regulations, all ODFL will know is pass, fail or pass with time stipulations for your next physical exam. Not difficult to pass, even with CPAP treatment for sleep apnea.

Awesome company to be employed by; my husband has only 12 yrs driving experience and has been with ODFL for 6 years. I drove 2 years for them, but left due to a neurological medical condition being treated with drugs leaving me unable to manuever a tricycle safely! They treat the drivers very well! Very close knit once you get in the door, it's like family. I really miss driving for them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  6. MMR2466

MMR2466 Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Eastern, PA
    Well it seems Old Dominion didn't pan out for my husb. He took two days off his current job w/o pay (willing to do so for a good opportunity)....took a pre-employment physical, provided them with his driving abstract from DMV, got his doubles/triples endorsement. Even the drug screen.....

Told him that he isn't getting the job because of "too many log book violations"----he had two for driving over his hours twice when he first started his co about six mo's ago....

Honest opinion is that they didn't like his "TREATED" sleep apnea.....he's lost weight and will likely be able to go off his machine soon due to this...(currently in a weight loss program)......

He's continually told by his co and prev co that he was their "best driver" even being a driver trainer/safety mgr for a while.

We are baffled and so very disappointed.

Wife of a truck driver----------

7. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Short answer yes as long as you show regular proof you are being treated

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.