Trexler near Allentown...$$$$

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by joesmoothdog, Mar 9, 2017.

1. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    It has been pay to park but it was hardly enforced. More of an honor system and we all know how well that's gonna go with today's drivers..

I used to help out cover runs for customer out of Allentown and it was always an emergency last resort stop. I wouldn't dare try a shower in that place, perhaps they're fixing it up now. As you said they are in desperate need of truck parking in that area. Just the truck traffic around exit 49 would be enough to keep about as many big chain stops as they could build full 24/7. Luckily our customer allowed us parking access at all hours but it was just that, parking with no facilities after they were gone for the day. Hated those runs but it was good money...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What happened to Frystown? Or even Harrisburg. Those two are not too far from Allentown.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Too far if you need to finish business in the area next day. Lots of trucks are unloading and reloading in the same county but not necessarily the same day. And if you finish with little time on your clock???

Harrisburg and Carlisle will be a packed cluster fc by the time you could get there

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If that is the case then both sides of 78 in Allentown should be filled with trucking by now. Times must have changed then. I'll take a visit virtually over the area and see.

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The locals know where to park for free.

7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I stopped in at Trexler once for a snack. The billboard on 78 says they have hot fresh food. I didnt find anything hot or fresh.

The need for a large truck stop is there, and I'm sure it's been explored. But I'd imagine the people living in all the townhouses nearby would pitch a fit. The Bandit would be a great spot, it's a dump anyway, so tear it down, make the parking lot twice the size it is, and put something worthwhile in there.

Someone mentioned Frystown. Good luck finding a parking spot there after 8pm. And don't even think of stopping there for a quick late night snack. You might spend 15 minutes just getting in the parking lot. Only to find nowhere to park.

Shartlesville has Love's, but it's too small to be any good, and usually Fed-Ex has the fuel island blocked while they take their breaks. So getting in there is a joke.

But there's a few places along 78 that have hot food and parking that I shall not mention, as I frequent those places regularly. Don't wanna spoil a good thing. Most of the old timers and those who run that way alot know what I'm talking about

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is one place that comes to mind. Midway. I call it midway anyhow. I could be wrong. But there is a diner there on the north side of that freeway and a certain amount of parking. In my day unfortunately you also had several businesses less than nice let's put it that way.

48Packard Thanks this.
  9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I-81 around Carlisle isn't getting any better either with the warehouse-to-parking ratio.

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I heard Sheetz was going to build a truckstop across from the Flying J where the Hotel Carlisle was,

48Packard Thanks this.
  11. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Anything will help. I like Sheetz. Really need something between Greencastle and mm44.....

x1Heavy and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.