trooper went easy on me, should I plead guilty?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by jeffrob93, Feb 12, 2014.

1. GA_Rookie

GA_Rookie Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Northwest, GA
    Next time try holding the cellphone a little lower lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well yeah, you know how attorneys lie. . .:biggrin_25526:

4. jeffrob93

jeffrob93 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2014
    I didn't admit to it; the trooper made it very clear he saw the phone in my hand.

5. K9OTR

K9OTR Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    Of course he did. because anything else wouldn't make the town/state any money. Sometimes a cop needs to be a sales man. He has to convince first himself, then you, and finally the court that he is right. If he could see the phone perhaps he can describe the phone (in detail) to the court. I'm no expert but I wouldn't want anything that says transporting goods out of compliance or anything that said use of handheld device on my record if I could avoid it. The court isn't going to elevate the charge if you appear to challenge it. I guess it would depend on how far away I would need to travel to fight it.

6. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Idk being u admitted to the officer it was indeed ur phone in hand . I would pay the 120 and go about my merry way.
    Its for sure a nonmoving tho right ? That would be my only concern other wise it could come back to haunt u after u sign the guilty line .

Then again do not take my advice I do not have a law degree.

7. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    So cop went easy on you and you are admittedly guilty.

Now you are debating about lying to get out of the $120? What would your mom want you to do?

I'm just messing with you, we all have crisis of conscience once in a while, but I wouldn't lie for $120. I wouldn't think it would be worth your time to go to court.

8. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana

You did admit to it if you told him that you were just checking to see who called.

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  9. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    amazingly enough still a whole lot of people feel uniquely qualified to respond :biggrin_2551:

I think I will go sit at the counter in the TS and take a poll

x1Heavy, tangerineGT and 281ric Thank this.
  10. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    lets fight this thing. While not behind the wheel, looking for loads, or getting greased up trying to keep up my truck and trailer, I dablle here and there in the art of law and fine discussions. My fees are half of what a regular attorney would cost you with similar result to that of using a public defender.
    I extend this offer not only to you but to any of my trucker comrads.
    I can be reached at 1-800-trucklaw....

Just kidding , I would ask and attorney also.

One last thing, should you decide to hire me and use my services please give me as much heads up as possible. I dont actually own a suit and would either have to rent or borrow one for our court appearance.

bergy Thanks this.
  11. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I starting to wonder if it is worth it to pay the fee for an attorney, just to get the charged dropped when the fine may be lower, not to mention, it still goes on your PSP, regardless of what you the driver do about the actual citation. I am assuming that the only difference in getting it dropped and not getting it dropped is whether or not it goes on your MVR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.