Troops To Transportation (Employment Inquiry)

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Birdman803, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most important is the heart rate test. Being in the Army you're probably in pretty good shape, but if you have any doubts just start practice with the stair step excercise and you'll be ok.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Birdman803

Birdman803 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    I'm all over. I'll keep you guys updated as it gets closer. I stopped smoking so hopefully I will be good.

4. Birdman803

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    Just an update guys. I'm still on track just playing the waiting game for retirement. I'm hoping for orders here in a couple of weeks and I can start clearing.

I am still going with Superior Carriers out of Savannah and stay in touch with the terminal manager to make sure he knows I still want to come. No issues at all. I'm going to go to refresher training in November more than likely and see if I can start with Superior the beginning of January. I haven't even looked at any other companies since making up my mind about Superior.

Anyway just an update. Thanks

5. Birdman803

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    Think I will do some online classes when I start with Superior so I can get that VA money. I had to come back to this thread and remeber you said this.

6. Birdman803

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    @Astrong how did everything go with school?

7. Astrong

Astrong Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Everything went fine with school man. I drive for TMC now. Started around the end of June. So far so good no real complaints. The VA sends me a check every month for the apprentice pay.

Birdman803 Thanks this.
  8. Birdman803

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    Good stuff man. One of the guys I went to school with drives for TMC and I always see his truck parked at the Walmart here. Hopefully I will be seeing you on the road in the near future. Good luck!

9. Astrong

Astrong Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks man. Same to you.

10. Knighthawk3

Knighthawk3 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Manhattan, KS
    Read thru some of the thread. Im just starting in the trucking world too. Retired from the Army back in Jan, then got into the troops for truckers program here at Ft Riley, KS. Went to Great Lakes Trucking school up in Ohio using the GI Bill. I went with a small flatbed company here in KS, and think itll be better than the big ones. Even tho, Ill miss out on the apprentice program, think this is the better route. Glad to hear you got a company to go to after you retire. Will say, don't forget to get all your VA(medical) stuff started before you get out or youll be struggling with it later. Hit me up i you need anything with that.

G13Tomcat and Birdman803 Thank this.
  11. Birdman803

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    Sound like we kinda went the same route. Sounds good I appreciate that. I am just waiting on my retirement orders right now so will be starting some VA stuff soon. Will definitely have some questions for you to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks again!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.