Troops to Trucks Military Waiver Program in California

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by J.Yandell3, Jul 6, 2018.

1. J.Yandell3

J.Yandell3 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrnH2Orat

BrnH2Orat Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2018
    all over
    In most states you need to show that you drove a truck in the military, MOS or a letter from a CO.

4. J.Yandell3

Feb 13, 2018
    Hopefully it is as easy as it sounds.

5. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    It’s That simple. Your company commander has too sign off.

6. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    so i tried this last week in the state of georgia, had my co sign the waiver before i got out. I brought all the proper documents and they would not accept my waiver because i do not have the license. I had 14 pages of 348's, but no of346. the lady had no clue what it was at first and had to call another dmv to ask, i showed them the reg on it where it states military drivers license (if applicable). obviously if you don't have it on person, its not applicable. she got all mad when i said this. i ended up saying forget about it because it would have only gotten me a class b since i drove lmcv's and i need a class a. as far as the troops into transportation program, NOT A FAN. they "partner" with these mega carriers and advertise "make 55k in your first year" yeah, thats before taxes and after the gi bill gets factored into it. do not let them fool you with this. thats your gi bill, last company i tried working with when i questioned the 32cpm they straight up said well we give you your gi benefits so it makes up for it. I walked away from them right after that was said. pathetic. thats your gi bill, don't let them fool you into thinking that they "are giving it to you". you earned it and it is your right as a veteran, i don't care what anyone says.

just remember, they need you more than you need them. Plus you being a veteran, they get a tax break an such by hiring you so don't let them low ball you on starting wages. any sign of coercion or dishonesty, probably want to walk away from them. good luck

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  7. J.Yandell3

Feb 13, 2018
    Interesting and very thorough insight Matt. To be clear I am speaking as a carrier owner, a small carrier owner at that, I am not a veteran. I wanted feedback as my company is starting to put much more of an emphasis and investment into military recruiting. I wanted non BS feedback in regards to the program so i can chart the best course of action. My hope was/ is with the FMCSA Under 21 Program tied in with the Troops to Trucks program we can better position ourselves to hire veterans and reservists. And to your point with the lowball on wages, drivers have all the leverage, i can't believe how low veterans salary expectations are out of the service, their has to be better communication to help them understand their value. my 2 cents.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Oh ok I understand where you're coming from now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.