Troubleshooting: truck is scrap, or incompetent garage?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by IhaulDonkey, Dec 9, 2018.

1. IhaulDonkey

IhaulDonkey Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2018
    I have been driving this 2009 GMC cabover for about 3 months. It is always asking for a regen, even on the highway. We have had it in for maintenance 2 times in this period of time for losing power. The guys apparently couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, because it had power for a couple of days and then none again. Someone had the idea to burn out the exhaust (I am not using the right words because I am new to this and still learning), and it ran OK for about 4 weeks, and then the regen lights started coming back on intermittently. Doing manual regen doesn't ever make the light go away. Now yesterday after it asked for manual regen at idle several times. I did it, but it when I pulled away to start my route, it would shudder, and finally lost power. Wouldn't go over 10mph. Going to schedule it in for repair AGAIN, and gritting my teeth because garages keep it for like ten days and it STILL doesn't work. Frustrated to death...is this thing just a POS, or are our mechanics useless?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Is your mechanic trained in these newer exhaust systems?

4. IhaulDonkey

Dec 9, 2018
    I have been driving this 2009 GMC cabover for about 3 months. It is always asking for a regen, even on the highway. We have had it in for maintenance 2 times in this period of time for losing power. The guys apparently couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, because it had power for a couple of days and then none again. Someone had the idea to burn out the exhaust (I am not using the right words because I am new to this and still learning), and it ran OK for about 4 weeks, and then the regen lights started coming back on intermittently. Doing manual regen doesn't ever make the light go away. Now yesterday after it asked for manual regen at idle several times. I did it, but it when I pulled away to start my route, it would shudder, and finally lost power. Wouldn't go over 10mph. Going to schedule it in for repair AGAIN, and gritting my teeth because garages keep it for like ten days and it STILL doesn't work. Frustrated to death...is this thing just a POS, or are our mechanics useless?

5. IhaulDonkey

Dec 9, 2018
    They are a diesel repair shop. So their sign says.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Anything can be fixed, it's just a matter of time, expense and the person working on it. Regen problems are one of most costly right now for the trucking industry. Parts are expensive, troubleshooting wonky and the engineering and parts design are questionable in the first place many times. Typically with older trucks, more than one part of the aftertreatment system has degraded to the point the whole system will not work. Many times, replacing the one component you find to be bad, still won't fix it because everything else is past the point of not working properly as well. Many customers, and shops too, are hesitant to throw expensive parts at it whenever there is a shadow of a doubt. It's hard to point fingers. As far as your truck, I will tell you there aren't many GMC cabovers around when compared to line-haul highway units that most mechanics are use to. So I would say there is lack of practical experience with your mechanics. So I highly recommend trying a different shop.

spsauerland and IhaulDonkey Thank this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I find in recent years that mechanics are knowledgeable in the mechanical sense of these vehicles, but once you throw in the ECM and such, they are lost. It's always a quick solution to replace everything

8. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    I have been having the same problem with my 2010 Chevrolet cabover. Must be a factory defect

9. JohnC123

JohnC123 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2018
    OMG! get away from these hacks before your ruined. Heavyd makes a great point, but he's being kind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.