Truck Abandonment ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucker574, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Trucker574

Trucker574 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Laporte, IN
    Been reading a lot on some of the post on Truck Abandonment. A few things don't make sense to me. As an example, If a person gives a company a two week plus notice but they won't route the truck to one on their terminals.

Legally on the 15th day that driver is no longer an employee of that company right?

If he takes it to the nearest manned terminal and turns it in there, is this truck abandonment?

Surely a company can't hold a person captive on the truck till they get ready to stop playing their childish games can they?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    I had a friend who gave 2 weeks. Company would not route him back to the yard so he informed them he was coming back to the yard empty after this final delivery. They said no. He did go back empty to his home terminal. Gave the keys to his manager and made him sign a form saying that he had brought the truck back. Also had the shop inspect the truck and sign a form stating it had been returned in proper condition. The company put on his DAC that he abandoned the truck and returned it damaged. It did not take long to get it taken off the DAC when his lawyer called them and threatened with a lawsuit informing them of the proof that he had. COVER YOU *$$ is the only way to be safe regardless. Companies lie to DAC all the time and good drivers get screwed.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    :biggrin_25516:Kinda funny how that works. You give 2 weeks notice, and on day 15, you're still hauling freight. With no end in sight. I would advise documenting everything, your notice to quit in writing sent via US postal service with return receipt requested. Then follow up with safety/dispatch every 3 days verbally. It's a crazy world we live in. :biggrin_25516:

5. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    My last job was with Western Express out of Nashville. They had me drive a worn out poorly maintained '02 Freightliner. At the time of leaving I had heard the horror stories of the company SAYING "we will route you near the destination" and making sure you go anywhere but the destination. So on the final load I gave them 4 choices.

1) I bobtail (still had plenty) to the terminal.
    2) I pull a empty back to the property.
    3) I pull a loaded to their terminal that needs to go beyond for delivery, I get out and what ever other driver they have can come and drive it to final destination.
    4) or I park it at the secure facility of last shipper.

#4 was what was done. I parked it on the 23rd, from the 23rd to the 15th of the next month that I was not driving the rig, they declared I had 4 accidents and would sap me of $400 of pay.

The picture is of the truck when I parked it.

Attached Files:

6. He who is called I am

He who is called I am Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Da U P Eh, Michigan

Wow, looks like you parked that truck in a busy crime ridden neighbor hood no wonder you were charged :biggrin_25517:

7. gixxer32404

gixxer32404 Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Florida
    It's #### if we do and #### if we don't. I spent a week at the house frommy last trucking otr job.The sent me home over 150miles away to avoid paying breakdown pay. We I went baxk out truck was still not right, I was rerouted to yard where I resigned at midnightish,cleaned my truckout on yard. And they put company terminal without noticeon my DAC.

Apparently notice is required to resign even though applications say "at will".WTF??

8. gixxer32404

Aug 27, 2008
    Florida
    it seems companies can do whatever they want to do.

9. old-school

old-school Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2007
    south western ohio
    I went to a company. Went through there three day of movies and all the other bull. they gave me a truck. I go look at it someone had a dog in it and it had not been cleaned. I made them come out and look at it the shop manger told clean it and walked off. I called my wife and said come and get me. They did not miss me for two days. Put on my dac it states quit under dispatch and truck abandonment.Funny i never took a load or left with the truck. And left all of there cards and other things lay on the safety persons desk. The truck never left the yard.

10. gixxer32404

Aug 27, 2008
    Florida
    And u are able to find a job? I supposedly have 2 no rehires and company terminal with out notice and was turned down.

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    There's a couple of tricks to this. The first being his length of experience. The second being, companies are often aware of the false DAC reports.

They will look at previous employers for additional detail that may reflect a habit on your part, or a lie submitted by your previous employer on your DAC.

For instance, you have 25 years unblemished service at 10 differant companies. And one prick sticks all kinds of BS on your DAC after you worked for them for 2 or 3 weeks. Good companies can sort through the BS.

Usually, when a company goes the extra mile to piece together a better picture of your past. They wind up being a pretty good company to work for. That isn't meant to imply they will take any #### from you. But they often treat you much better than most.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.