Truck and bus make SUV sandwich in jaw-dropping dash cam video

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by lovesthedrive, Nov 21, 2019.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Bud A., FerrissWheel, 12 ga and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I watched about 20 times and am still not sure where the car came from. It appears only 2 came down the ramp, one went in front and one went behind the truck. It's possible a third car came down the ramp if the car spinning is the second one and the silver one you cant see until it slows and merges, but then I would think the black car would have spun across traffic the other way. I'm guessing he spun across traffic from the median side. If that's the case, the truck would have likely obliterated the car if he hadnt swerved left. Doesnt look like the sandwiched suv would have gotten too injured. It's possible that was the correct decision, but it's hard to determine without knowing where the black car came from.

Bud A. and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I put the blame on the merging to freeway car.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Four-coupon ride!

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  6. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    I think I got it...I had to watch the second video to see it. There are actually two black sedans that come down the get-on ramp before the gold car that gets on behind that truck. For whatever reason I guess that second black car either tried to hammer it down the last little bit of merge but couldn't make it, or panic-braked at the last second but was too late (I've seen it happen)--being that this was uptown Charlotte, neither would surprise me. That second black car is the one that got hit.

That said, I still say that one should've been anticipated, especially going through a downtown zone. Speaking for myself, I try if I can to stay out the right lane going through dense urban zones like that if I help it, specifically to avoid getting caught up in a potential hazard like that. I just hope everyone made it out of that some kind of okay.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know where that black car came from One of two theories.

Car was in front of bus. Ok, but no exit etc for it to zip across? So scratch that.

Big rig already was in pre-evasion with that little exploratory left jerk on the wheel. Without knowing what was just passed maybe a onramp ran out onto the shoulder and hae a car there? Thats what I am going with.

I have to go with the recent ramp with car trapped on shoulder being stubborn and refusing to yeild or hammer ahead using that merge lane when he was supposed to. That is a acceleration lane. Big rig next to merge? Well that introduces another can of worms but I'll leave it here.

BRaking would have done way better than doing what he did. I usually choose braking and if necessary having to horse her, I would be slow enough and have a out hopefully to do it. Tanker is loaded, no question there.

I am actually less concerned with the bus and truck sandwitch other vehicle is in. The blame at this point must fall on both the tanker truck not leaving himself a out knowing Mr Stubborn sometimes roll out on a shoulder that may or may not still be there after a onramp.

The bus is also part of the problem. I don't know if he was governed at the same as the tanker truck being in the far left. He should have either been in the center HOV lanes or over on the far right. The cars were wanting out hence the one trying the middle before that one became a sandwitch.

So it takes two to dance, three is too #### many and more than 4 is a total screw up royal. They should know better. But no everyone is stubborn. Me me and me. I usually do not get going on videos like that one but it is a very interesting one.

If OMG is the only fall back kneejerk reaction that generally people sprout when something develops then they were not anticipating and reacting before this potential smashup. I don't say OMG. I usually curse. Working down from the worst offender ... lolz.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Bud A. Thanks this.
  8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    car could have hit his steer tire.

didn't notice it was here in Charlotte.lol

magoo68 Thanks this.
  9. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    That could've happened, too. It actually happened to me once--but from the other direction.

Headed westbound on 40/24 going into the downtown Nashville loop, in the far right lane (y'all already know where this is going)...about 1/4 mile before the 40w/24w split at the loop, I do as I always do (because back then I ran through downtown Nashville about 6-8 times per day) and check my left lane mirror to see what ##*jack is going to try to jump the zebra at the last second from 40w to 24w (because that's a daily occurrence around here). So I looked, and saw a silver sedan about 200 feet back in the second left lane (for 40w), and automatically my internal beacon goes "that fool finna do something stupid", so I make sure no one is on my left side in case this fool does indeed jump the zebra. Unfortunately there's a beige SUV right off my rear left trailer axle, so I kept an eye on him and that car back there (who at this point was quickly gaining speed), but then he actually entered the 40w split. So I'm like "ok, he actually went". In the half-second it took me to scan back into my right mirror and back front, BAM!--out my left window I'm looking directly into the windshield of that same beige SUV, but the impact of that SUV into my front left steer hub knocked me straight into the right guardrail, and in the time it took me to scan my hood--you guessed it--the was that same silver sedan, zooming on quick into the loop trying to run away--turned out dude actually did jump the zebra, way too late. That car actually hit the SUV next to me, knocking it into my left steer hub which ran me into the guardrail, so I did the only thing I could do at that time, kept a feather on the throttle and jammed my cab right into the guardrail to slow and then stop me, just before the curve into the loop (and I mean I just BARELY had enough room on the shoulder to fit my truck in between the fog line and the guardrail--I'm glad it held, else I was going over the edge).

Once the police showed up and took statements, the SUV that got knocked into me ended up getting charged at fault--despite the fact HE got hit. What the officer on scene didn't know at the time is not a good quarter mile up the roadway, where he had me get off the guardrail and limp my truck into the more open area inside the loop, off in the grass, another cop actually caught the car that hit that SUV--becasue he had just run himself into the ICC bumper of another truck. Yup...just another day in Nashvi--excuse me, Crashville, Finnassee*.

*I call it such bcuz if u hang around here long enough, you SHO finna see a crash...

Bud A., FerrissWheel, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Three car monte.

he he he. Where is the missing one. Check under your rig. =)

I had to track 6 one time. Took me about oh 3 hours to get the shakes out at the old Terrel 76 with a shot or two across the alley in that upstairs bar. Missed all of them that time. But if the boss found out...

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  11. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Same. And I take my radio abuse like a man the whole way through for having a slower truck in any lane that's not the far right one, even though I'm usually running full steam ahead

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.