Truck and trailer recovery

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by The_firm, Nov 25, 2020.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    No, it does not seem fair. The question you didn't ask though is if it sounds about right, or about the going rate. Yes, it sounds about right.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Where is it and how far is it being towed? Pictures of the damage and “cleanup” needing done?

About a year ago I had a truck hit ice and jack knife into a ditch in Illinois. Towed about 150 miles, no cleanup since it was just ruts and a couple broken truck pieces to pickup. I’m thinking it was around $1800 but also was bad weather and he was gracious to tow truck and trailer across state lines back to the yard. That’s some bs rule they have to charge you for two tows.

They basically pulled it out and onto the shoulder, picked up some loose pieces, and hauled ### back to the yard. Didn’t even get police involved. As basic and low key as you can make things, the better.

Edit: Should have read all the replies. Sorry but you got shafted. Should have called more tow companies. In situations like these the tow companies try and gouge because it’s insurance. In my case I go out of pocket every time I can since I have $5000 deductible and don’t want any claims. I make it back up on my yearly renewals. Unless it’s a huge loss of course. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I think that's really something that the insurance company should take care of.

One time I pulled off onto the shoulder of the road because there were trucks lined up everywhere for my delivery and unfortunately it was New Jersey sand and there was a giant pothole I didn't see and I had to call a tow truck.

I was really terrified because once they come that's it you really do have to pay whatever they charge you basically.

Luckily he only charged me $350 to tow me out. Actually I need to start a thread about that and give their name if the moderators are okay with that, because they were just super fair and courteous and exactly knew what they were doing.

But the one thing I will say is that he told me it's time. It's time for however long it takes them to clean that up that determines the bill.

It does seem high to me but I'm sure they had to bring at least two Wreckers out to clean that up.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Goes by State and is not a BS rule. I ran Heavy for a few years. Every state has thier own rules. You best follow the rules.

In Ohio we were allowed to tow from accident or breakdown to the first qualified repair facility. So you can see how that game would go. We were exempt from scales too. However you cross that state line hooked up, your butt was gonna get jail time. As a approved tow/carrier. If I picked a truck up in Michigan, it had to be split on the side of the road. Not allowed to move them.

Not saying it didn't happen a few times. Night jobs.

Was not exempt from scales in Michigan either. Had to be legal. I've posted bond a few to many times on that one.

6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I get that its a real rule, but feel like it surely must have been lobbied to help make tow companies more money. If you can tow a truck safely 50 miles, why not 150 miles? Also, trucks being towed don’t notice imaginary lines such as state lines. Seems like a racket to me and most all tow companies LOVE informing of these rules/laws. I swear they get a little woody at the thought of all that dough.

I feel like common sense goes a long way. Not many laws follow that mind set unfortunately. IMO.

TallJoe and 86scotty Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I don't begrudge anyone making money and I'm sure there are a lot of fair tow companies that are out there.

However, did you ever notice that the larger tow truck companies that really do the cleanup from wrecks, have you ever noticed the yards that they have?

They have giant buildings that would rival any truck dealer with super garages with maybe 10 bays or more, usually on like a 20-acre lot, and on that lot it's like a salvage yard.

There are many many trucks and trailers and all kinds of stuff just lined up there that apparently people either couldn't pay for wouldn't pay for or chose not to pay for...

I don't know but I've been to quite a few looking at truck parts and it was really something to see.

TallJoe, jamespmack and 86scotty Thank this.
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I saw a tow truck pulling a power unit up a mountain grade today with just a chain. It wasn't hooked up to the tow boom. Not sure why, but it seemed odd.

9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

There is so many non paying customers. Car,Trucks. Not all insurance policies covers recovery. Everyone should read thiers. Might have cargo recovery, not tractor trailer. It will pay for the tree, but won't pay to get the truck off the tree. Leaves the vehicle owner responsible. So many have no coverage and dont know it. Yet it's someone else's fault they under insured themselfs.

So they are out of business, towing company still paid wages, fuel, equipment and will spend 30-90 days to get rights to retain salvage. Which has little to no valve cause its wrecked.

There are crooks and honest people in that business. Either way its expensive!

10. 50WT

50WT Heavy Load Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Most of the time the wrecker company has to deal with the insurance company about the price. I've seen it take almost a year if the unit is totaled, they're not in a hurry to pay and hope the wrecker company will call and want to settle for less. And the unit has to be stored in a safe lot.
    Think about what it would cost you to park a truck and trailer in a pay lot.
    Also there's a lot of work after the recovery and tow that people don't realize.
    The damage to property, such as ruts in the ground may have to be leveled and reseeded.
    Trees removed, fence repairs.
    There's a lot more to it sometimes than you realize

bzinger and jamespmack Thank this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    What happens if a tow company, e.g. in Wyoming, will give you a really crazy bill? Is there any recourse? Let's say that you in a ditch in a middle of somewhere with temperature close to 0 and perhaps glad that you're still alive. The last thing on your mind is to worry about tow/recovery bill negotiation but then is there anything you can do not to have to pay $18 978.50? Or is it something that insurance is for? If so, which one - Physical Damage, Auto Liability? Or do you have to purchase additional option for such an event?
    What if you don't have money or don't want to pay? They will take equipment to salvage but what if the equipment itself is not worth as much?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.