Truck as an investment?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Layna, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Layna

Layna Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Hello,
    I just found this forum and have some questions if you lovely people are able to answer I would appreciate it. My husband and I are looking for an investment that produces income, we would only have about $40,000 available. He wants to purchase a house, which would only bring us about $200-300/month. I came up with the idea to purchase a truck and rent it, however we have no clue about how to do that, we wouldn't be driving it, just renting. What's the best approach for this? Would it be a good investment in your opinion? Do you need to have a business to be able to purchase/rent it to somebody else? Any resources for financing and how to go about it if so? Thank you in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Absolutely NOT-Your odds of finding somebody that will actually be an asset ,AND take care of your truck like its their own is very,very hard.

As for Property- YES,Good idea- But,How do you assume income property will only net you $200-$300 a month?? Even with a Mortgage and upkeep,You should do better than that. But Yeah,Income property yes. renting a truck (leasing) NOOOOOOOOOOOO

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.OOIDA.com is a business website for owners of trucks and owner-operators.
    The $40K you have won't even pay for insurance.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    :biggrin_2559:,,,,I'm sorry, but,,:biggrin_25523:, nice try, dear, but that would be the most foolish thing you could do. Come up with a new cell phone wrap, or scam the elderly, but I don't think anyone buys a truck for an investment, they can't do anything else, and I don't mean that in a bad way, but HAVE to put up with trucking today. Back to the drawing board,,,

csmith1281 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  6. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Stick with what you know.

There are people on this board who are truckers and they fail at it.

You ain't got a chance.

csmith1281 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  7. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Please listen to these guys, they gave you great advice.

csmith1281 and Scoot 1971 Thank this.
  8. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016

I would invest in a landscaping company take over before purchasing a truck, have someone drive it for me, you could have some Supertrucker wreck in going to a convenient store. Under a week and your hard work down the drain. Don't ask me how but I know of someone who did what your suggestion and he lost his truck he paid,plus a lawsuit to deal with the driver was found at fault and best part he will walk away with nothing more then a slap on wrist and no money out his pocket other then the ticket.

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Invest in Dollar General

freebirdnca Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Renting is a hard business, you won't make more than a couple hundred a month unless you are running 40 or more trucks.

AND rentals are better, they can be great for passive income, where trucks take actual management of them and are not passive income.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.