Truck broke down in Wytheville, VA, shop around..

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Trouble65, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Trouble65

Trouble65 Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    My driver called me last night stating that the clutch pedal went to the floor and that was it. Just had a new clutch brake installed and clutch adjustment done before this trip.

During the night I called around for pricing. Some of the prices were outrageous. One company quoted me $3,000 which included towing the truck and trailer .5mile s new clutch, bearing and towing charges. I asked the individual “why so much”? Labor is very high it takes the entire day to replace the clutch that’s if there are no problems.

My second quote was $2,400. The third quote was $1,650. When I asked for him to break down the quote he explained to me it was $700 for clutch, $600 for labor and towing was $350. To replace the clutch here in Canada the cost is $1,200 to $1,400 and I know for a fact everything here in Canada costs a lot more than in the USA.

What is it with some shops gauging trucking companies? I had a friend who blew the bottom end on his Chevy $10 about 15 years ago in West Virginia. They quoted him $8,000 for engine rebuild. For $4,500 we had the truck towed back to Toronto, rebuild the engine and transmission.

Anyone has a problem around Wytheville VA area give Jimmy # BIR Truck Repair Inc. a call shop 540.980.1200 after hours 540.239.0553

It pays to shop around.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Sometimes it's like shopping for a used car, you ask the price and they quote you something ridiculous to see if you'll bite. Ever been to a cat house in Nv.? They'll start out at $850 to see if you are a dumb hayseed from Al. In the end , you can get it for $100.

4. IronRydr

IronRydr Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I live in the Wytheville area and I've heard good things about BIR Truck Repair as well. I don't use them personally, only because the company that I lease to has it's own shop, but I've gone to BIR several times in the past looking for advice on various things. They've always been very nice and most helpful to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.