Truck Color and Uniform required

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by marpolsdofer, Jun 9, 2018.

1. marpolsdofer

marpolsdofer Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I contract haul Guest (customers) deliveries for a Company called Menards Guest (customers). Over the last 3 years the old GM never completely enforced the contract and when he was replaced 6 months ago the new GM said he would not either (old one got paid more to turn another store around). Stuff like uniform or Menard's no allowing to help with a delivery if we have a problem, forcing us to have another truck on stand by, late penalties, and such. Corporate comes on its annual visit raising hell for the employees but was nice to me. I think most of his complaints he directed to the delivery coordinator but they seem to think different. Never been this bad before replacing the GM at the store (he wanted to leave for his new born) and firing one of the Asst. GM's because he made sure he would not get promoted any further.

Now this is what the heck is confusing me. I got asked today what color my new truck was to replace the old one. I was informed it needs to be white or green, mine is orange. They knew this before I bought it and the GM never said anything. I was also told we now need to wear are uniforms for my company or we will not haul until then.
    I looked at my current contract and old contract I did not see anything regarding truck color. Only stuff there is where the decals go, federal/state law stuff, keep it clean
    I do remember something for uniforms. I thought it had to had my name on the back like the first GM told me. I looked at the contract and only things it says uniforms must be neat and clean, no other mention. Would that not mean I could just wear shorts/pants and a t-shirt?

Another thing that I gotten crap for is not calling the customer before I deliver, 99% of the time I do. About .1% of the 1% I don't throw a fit about it.
    They want to keep throwing the contract at me but it says nothing about it. The only thing that does say calling the is the agreement between the store and the customer under delivery notes. Customers who sign the agreement only agree to a few basic things. We try to make the delivery at requested time. Where the load will be placed unless noted. The delivery area must be level, have space to enter and deliver, if instructed tearing of the yard, cracking concrete, etc we are not responsible. Last one is tricky but it says that we are responsible for shortage or damages. However, Menards usually deals with it and puts it on us if it was deliberate or careless.
    I do not see call ahead under the terms.
    Also when they put the finalize the agreement its yours even thou you was never saw it or hear about it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I hauled one load for Menards. That was the last load I'll ever haul for Menards.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Sounds about as much fun as an Amazon load...

5. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Amazon loads have been a breeze for me, IMO. All drop/hook, and not even on my own trailer.

6. Snotrockettt

Snotrockettt Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2017
    If you have the contract in your hand and it doesn't say anything about the crap they're on your ### about, throw it right in their face.

Might be worth plunking down a little cash and consulting an attorney first.

I would also plan on them finding someone else as soon as your contract is up if you go that route.

7. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Heh. Menards isn't worth all that effort.

8. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    The contract is non expiring only reason I had a new one was for price revision. They can terminate at will or give 45 days notice. Can not haul for competition after I leave for 1 year.
    So far they have three contractors. One does cube van (well his pickup and a trailer most of the time) does interior stuff but I get his stuff some times if he is on vacation or it is to heavy for him (like a counter top). The other tractor trailer with the fork lift built in to the tractor. I do not know why the owner invented it. I think it was so Menards did not have to own Moffets and can force the cost on to the contractors. Menards only owns the trailers. Makes it harder to sell the truck.
    Then there is me, drywall forklift boom. I am not going to say it is impossible but replacing me would be hard. Same with the other contractor. The cost of the equipment and the pay. Last year I totaled 55k after expenses left less then 18k I think. Then a nice $$3500 to $ 4500 tax bill. The number me be a little off from what I was left with.

Also think the box van guy will quiet if they make him where a specific uniform.

Then having a 2nd truck is never going to happen not with what I bring in. The other guy same thing it took them 10 years to replace the truck. It took me 3. However my first truck was less then what his was because how old mine was. The new truck is about the same year and cost $10 to $15k less then his. While mine is more specialized it because I have my ways (truck had a bad engine in it).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
    Reason for edit: Fixed quote
    Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  9. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    The other thing is I do not deal with corporate really ever. The first store manager he was very involved in everything did pee on work as well. So I worked with him all the time even comes out with me from time to time. The 2nd manager easy to talk to but he mostly left delivery stuff up to the coordinators. The new one seems not to talk ever.
    The problem here is the delivery coordinators act like we are babies when I say I can no do what ever for so and so reason. They don't know thew laws and don't actually know what is in the contract, just what they are told or the think know. The managers the 1st one knew and the 2nd some what did. One of the asst. GM's does not.

10. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    I also think the notion of having a specific truck colors is stupid. I can see some truck colors being banned like pink or something. My truck would look like crap in either green or white. Orange makes me visible.

11. marpolsdofer

Apr 7, 2015
    What problem you have with them?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.