Truck Driver Institute

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by senelcoolidge, Sep 19, 2018.

1. senelcoolidge

senelcoolidge Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2018
    central florida
    Any opinions on this school? I visited TDI and Roadmasters and TDI looked better. 3 weeks of schooling seems really short, but I guess you will get your real training once your hired by someone. There is also a technical school where I live but it's 8 weeks long and the wait time is bad. I would have to wait until sometime next year to hopefully get into the program.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mindes

mindes Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Crestview, Fl
    I think the only schools offering anything longer are technical schools. Not many offer cdl training.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TDI in Sanford,FL?
    TDI is ok and has a decent reputation. I'd go there over Roadmaster.
    I looked over the companies on the website, and some are ok, but there's plenty others to choose from.
    I can give you a few names of decent companies that hire new cdl graduates in Central Florida and if any of them interest you, give a call and ask if they hire from TDI. They probably all do, but call anyway.
    MCT Transportation - terminal in Sanford.
    Fastenal - lots of hometime and good paychecks. @Kstrong86 lives in central Florida and works there.
    Freymiller - super nice trucks and runs coast to coast.
    Abilene Motor Express
    Milan Supply Chain Solutions
    Titan Transfer
    Salem Carriers - new grads. go through their "Driver Apprenticeship Program" near Tampa.
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) - terminals in Winterhaven & Miami.
    Monterey Mushrooms - Zellwood,FL - new cdl grads go through their "driver training program."
    CTL Transportation - Auburndale,FL - great money pulling tankers. You'll go through their tanker school and get paid at the same time.
    Keep in mind; all the companies I listed do hire new cdl grads. Some websites aren't easy to navigate so you may initially think you don't qualify for some reason, so apply anyway.

senelcoolidge and Kstrong86 Thank this.
  5. Kstrong86

Kstrong86 Medium Load Member

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    What is the technical school where you live named? I don’t know if this is it or if you have looked into but check out
    Mid Florida Tech, Orlando Truck Driver Training 2900 W. Oakridge Rd. | Orlando, FL 32809

If you want good training and actually learn and not look silly when you get to your employer and be ahead of the game a little definitely check them out. They will not pass you if they feel you are not trained enough. Getting certified from them looks better than Roadmaster. The schooling is 8 weeks long though. Roadmaster is horrible they just want your money and you will maybe at best if you lucky get about 20 minutes on the truck per day. They don’t care if you can drive or truck or not as long as they get your money they could care less if you know how to back or shift. Just my opinion. TDI is good as well but it’s only 3 weeks long. And you are right you will get your training from whatever employer you decide to go with and be with a trainer for weeks unless you get into food delivery or LTL which you are home every day. Check out some LTL companies in the area see if they have a dock to driver program position open. They pay for anything you just work the dock and from time go with their city drivers on their routes and learn how to drive. Just don’t go to a mega carrier that will pay for your schooling if you work for them for a year or go to Roadmaster. Be safe and good luck on your journey. All companies above listed is good starting out and hire cdl. We are here if you have any more questions.

senelcoolidge Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I went to a TDI school near Nashville. It was 3 weeks. I think it cost me $3500 in 1994. I would do it again.

Yes, the school, almost any CDL school is just to get your license. You will spend weeks with a trainer at your first company. That's where you learn 90+% of this job. I had considered an 8 week Community College CDL course in FL. It only cost, at the time, $800. However the waiting list was several months long. No Community College course is going to give you any insight into dealing with customers, doing procedures at your trucking company. Those are the things you learn on the job.

For me I was better off getting my first paycheck/advance 4 weeks after starting CDL school at my first company after going to a 3 week course, versus waiting 5-6 months to start after going to Community College. CC training is a good option if you can fit it around your current job. The 3 week courses are very full days. Some of the 3 week schools have night & weekend classes which you might be able to use while working at a current job.

senelcoolidge Thanks this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I am not familiar at all with truck driving schools but possibly someone who is could offer up a list of questions that should be posed to school recruiter so applicant can narrow their choices.
    Tuition is like any purchase and buyer beware, you want the best bang for your buck

Kstrong86 Thanks this.
  8. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    I think the best approach to picking a school is to figure out which company you would like to work for, contact them, see if they’re interested in hiring you and ask them which school they would like for you to attend.

tscottme and rustyswife Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've recommended that also. Call companies you like and ask if they hire from the school you prefer and if not, which one in your area do they hire from.
    I went to TDI near Nashville and so did @tscottme

tscottme and Vic Firth Thank this.
  10. Kstrong86

Kstrong86 Medium Load Member

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    That’s a good idea. Here are a few

What’s the tuition for your school?
    How long is the school?
    Do you offer nights and weekend classes?
    What’s the student to teacher ratio?
    How much time will I spend on avg in a truck driving per day?
    Do you have a job placement program?
    Do you work with other companies other than the usual mega carriers?

Those are some key questions I asked when went to truck driving school.

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. senelcoolidge

senelcoolidge Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2018
    central florida

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.