Truck Driver Killed by his load 4-22-16

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by UltraZero, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    Same this with Gerdau up here except the reason for the spacing is almost every receiver chain unloads with an overhead crane and they need the space to get the chain in.

I always do a lot of over/under strapping on those loads, making sure every bundle has pressure on it from both top and bottom. Gerdau is one shipper I don't like.

I used 21 straps and two chains on the last load of spaced out rebar I took out of there (90k lbs on the deck–48.5' long).

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    I do the same with the over and under strapping as you mentioned. How do you get your straps tight? Mine seem to grab on the rebar and prevent them from getting tight. I have to work the slack out which takes awhile.

4. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Yes

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I been to busy to post lately, Anyways......
    Last week on junction 710 northbound in the city of Commerce, Ca.(suburb of L.A.), Seen a truck who must of slammed on his brakes, because his load of "painted" fabricated "I" steel beams shifted forward and slammed into the cab. Nope, didn't seem to get to the driver, load stop shifting forward but bang up the sleeper pretty bad. Can you guess what he had for securement ? "STRAP'S" !!!!!! ........when will they learn......all I can say is, it must of been his lucky day.......that he is still alive.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    :biggrin_25521:

Not even pushed together???:biggrin_2551:

Really???:biggrin_2555:

Who hauls stuff like that? You'd probably have to stop every 20 miles to tighten straps.

7. Make you feel better swift is in the flatbed game more and more.
    DSC_0361.jpg

johndeere4020 Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hopefully Swift is smart enough to teach people about the physics of what can happen when freight has room to move.

But alas, I think not...:biggrin_25512:

johndeere4020 and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  9. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    I'd be happy to never haul it again. Luckily since I've been running trains I almost never load there anymore. Yes they loosen quite a bit and need extra attention. If you wait until an hour down the road to check & tighten, you will likely find every strap loose. Not good.

If I for any reason end up in the ditch (anything can happen), I sure as hell want that load to stay where it was loaded. I guess those who throw the minimum number of straps straight over the top (most guys) aren't too concerned about that.

10. Another reason mentioned to @Chewy352 to throw more chains on that shotgun coil load of his. Rather have to many than not enough.

MACK E-6 and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  11. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    And I admitted that was a valid point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.