Truck driving is not "BIG MONEY"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diantane, Nov 1, 2020.

1. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I think it all depends on ones outlook at Trucking. I attended College for Electrical Engineering then dropped out after one year pursuing the Electrcan Trade obtaining one year as a journey man (did not finish even though I earned money in the process). A year later took my apprenticeship to obtain my Welding license (pipe, might and tig tickets) hired at a job worked for a few months realizing this is not for me either. My Dad had a dream of driving Trucks and recommended it because I was also interested one watching the Big Rigs on the highways as a kid. I got my license the next year and never looked back really. I found my calling in life and still enjoy Trucking. Even though working for a unionized company (double pay on Sundays and working right now..) some drivers are earning $120k annually. I made an average of $85k for the last 3 years because I don't work that much o.t. As I looked up Electricans and Welders salaries being $135k or $100k I'm content at the end of the day because physically I just have to drive, crank a few dolly legs, pull a pin and open some barn doors. For me it beats getting electric zapps here and there or welding flashes that occurs more then people think where it feels like sand in your eyes at times.

Dave_in_AZ, scottied67 and tommymonza Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania

Attached Files:

4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I was just telling my wife today. We are blessed to live in America. You can go to trade school (our son is). Get 2 years of education and be on your way to making a 100k easily. You live with in your means. You will do great The Lord bless your health (body & mind). You get a year or 2 of experience in trucking you can do very well. I'm thankful & appreciative of the opportunities afforded to me being in a great country. I realize everyone doesn't have these opportunities. All the best to everyone in their journeys

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    All truck driver's must be rich.
    Or why do so many people panhandle in truck stops?????

bryan21384 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    That’s it!!!!

I’m going to fix fries at McDonalds!!!

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, we know. The trucking business sucks and nobody who does it can afford to live in anything more than a cardboard box under a bridge. :rolleyes:

This same old song and dance from you is getting very tiresome, especially since I for one make well over three times your $28K.

Don’t whine to us about your circumstances. Change them.

8. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    This week it's the floors, next week it's the fries!

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    That’s it!!!

I am going to Carl’s Jr.

tommymonza, Wasted Thyme and LameMule Thank this.
  10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Did you really mean gross, and not net? There's a lot of drivers on this forum that gross that much every month. If you meant net, your costs are out of control, or you're pulling cheap freight.

And this is coming from someone that barely knows how to fill out a BOL...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.