Truck driving is not "BIG MONEY"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diantane, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Boom Tube

Boom Tube Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    If you've got brothers with great incomes, perhaps you should look into majoring in the subject that they did. Knowing people in the right positions is like 95% of the battle. I went to a good college and got a STEM degree. I was getting offers of $28K to $32K per year. What a joke to pay rent, food, student loans, etc. with that. If I knew people in high places, I probably could have gotten like $50K starting out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I saw one with that format where they were asking: "It says here you don't have any experience, so why are you asking for such a high starting pay?" And he replies: "Because the job is much harder when you don't know what you're doing!"

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I don't think I even hit 12k my first year of trucking. But I didn't start till September.

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Congratulations to you and your brother.

7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    You’re probably not going to find a “low cost” area in California.

A buddy of my just sold his house in Victorville, ca. A single family home in a neighborhood that needed some major updating/repairs for 260k.

In Missouri I bought a 12 year old home (That needed nothing) on 4.5 acres with a 2800 square foot shop for 265k.

homeskillet and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    LOL!:p

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I worked 10 months last year and made over $42K and live in Tennessee. Good money for here.

homeskillet and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    There is still some fairly low priced real estate in California, usually the far northern end of the state. The northeastern part which is mostly high desert still has decent prices but the land isn't really good for anything but grazing sheep and water is scarce. Electricity is expensive to establish if you don't have power to the property already. You have to pay for all the poles and wire from the nearest existing lines to wherever your building site is. A guy down the road from my son paid over 200 grand to run poles and wires from the county road to his place. He's from the city and didn't know to check things like that. His water well cost him nearly 15 grand. He didn't check on that before he bought the place either. His place is for sale but he'll never get the money out of it that his foolishness cost him. When the price gets down to where it should be my son will probably buy it.
    When a good deal comes up it never gets advertised. Most realtors have a list of cash buyers waiting for property or a family member buys it. If a realtor has to advertise a property it's usually because there's a glut on the market or it's a total disaster.

Lonesome and kylefitzy Thank this.
  11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    You could get one hell of a super sized bad ### SOLAR SYSTEM for 200 grand. Apparently, your friend isn't too bright. 15K for a well is a decent price though.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.