Truck Expense

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Matthews, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    We are about to purchase another truck but pay cash for it.

It's a 94 FLD that will cost the company $6000.00 for the truck, we'll do a PM and add new belts, hoses, and rubber around the truck. not including all new fluids. Can we have some tip's on how to "write" off this truck and it's start up costs.
    The $6000.00 is just the trucks COST. Not including another $2500 for PM and Misc.

All the best,
    Matthew

We did not get ANY write offs on either of our 2 running trucks. So im out to get this 3rd truck wrote off!!!!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    You can depreciate the truck on next years taxes, and all your maintenance is deductible, as well. You get 3 years to depreciate the truck.

Keep all your receipts!

On a side note... Why did you not get any write offs on your other trucks? Sounds like you need to amend your old taxes and claim some money!

4. Matthews

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    Gator,
    The last 2 trucks we got we payed cash for them. 94FLD was $6,000 the 96FLD was $7,000

They have both been running for 2 years.
    In fact we are buying another truck at $6,000 another FLD and OH yes, I'll be talking to tax man about this.

The PMs, Costs and Exps we do write off....... Didnt know that we could DEP a full 3 years on a Paid in FULL truck....

Thanks for the Reply....
    All the best,
    Matthew :biggrin_25514:

5. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    You can take the 3 years, or take it all up front in the first year if I'm not mistaken.

6. Matthews

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    Thank you Thank you.......
    I'll be calling and talking to my CPA soon.... Im going to ask him about THIS years filings.

I'll ask the 1 time, or 3 year deduction.... Thanks...

Matt

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

You need a better CPA!

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    If the trucks have been used for 2 years and not written off, amended returns might be needed. Also, the one year write off is known as Section 179 deduction.

Also agree with Brinkman, If this has been missed, you do need better accountants.

9. XiZBiT

XiZBiT Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Detroit
    If your payng for the trucks out of your personal account, you can set a payment plan and not pay tax on the money (payment) but will have to charge yourself interest so the goverment gets something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.