TRUCK FINALLY PAID OFF BUT NOW...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by codyschmidt, Sep 26, 2015.

1. codyschmidt

codyschmidt Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    landrum,sc
    I have a 2007 freightliner Columbia , 852,000 miles on it, finally paid off the loan...But now it seems like it is turning into a money pit with repairs needing done to it.

This weekend it is in the shop again getting a synchronizer put in and the bill will be $2062 come Monday to get it out.

Within the last 4 months I needed to replace all 4 airbags, both torque arms, 4 batteries, bell house gasket, flex exhaust pipe from the motor back to the stack, new shocks, alternator And misc smaller stuff done to it.
    Those repairs the number came to around $10k with the labor and parts....Seems like every time I get a 90 day inspection on it, some kind of repairs need to be done to pass and be compliant.

Last year, I had the number one U-Joint break and when the driveshaft come apart, it took out all my wiring and airlines under the truck.
    I had to have all new wiring from front to back, all new airlines, new drive line from the motor back....That bill with the labor was $20k

You might say that I almost have a new truck built from scratch with some of the stuff I needed done.

I found a 2014 Pete 587 with 439,000 miles And a warranty that I am thinking about trading the money pit for.....Should I trade it and be done or just keep sticking money into it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Sounds like you need to get under the truck more often. A lot of those things you listed are wear parts such as the airbags and flex pipe. A lot of those you could have fixed on the side of the road too. If you are going to continue to own a truck then you need to start doing the simple stuff yourself.

A lot of people think like you that these are money pits. I look at it like WOW that part is now good for another 800k. It all depends on what you want, put money into repairs or payments. Either way it is leaving your wallet. Don't forget about increased insurance costs too.

Grijon, Diesel Dave, magoo68 and 13 others Thank this.
  4. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
  5. codyschmidt

Jan 25, 2011
    landrum,sc
    I do a lot of the minor things myself so I do get under the truck and I want to avoid doing repairs on the side of the road, that is why when something is wrong it gets fixed before I end up on the side of the road.....I don't make it a habit to have 4 airbags for spares riding around with me in case one springs a leak, I do have smaller parts in case something goes wrong that I wont have to go into the shop for but I cannot change the synchronizer myself on the side of the road, nor the bell housing gasket...

I was foolish when I was younger because all I wanted to do was drive the big truck,,,,I should have went to school to learn how to repair them from front to back but I was not smart enough when I was 18 to know any better

Lone Ranger 13 Thanks this.
  6. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    I keep hearing horror stories over emission issues on the newer trucks and having lived a prostar nightmare, I'm thankful to have a 2006 truck.

If it was me, I'd keep the old truck.

7. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I agree. Keep the truck!!!

Ougigoug and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  8. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    ?? 2014 with 439,000, your 2007 has 852,000, Sounds like that '14 was a team truck, I'd keep looking

Ok big boy and codyschmidt Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Do you have a grease gun and coveralls? That U joint was a sign of bad preventive maintenance.

10. codyschmidt

Jan 25, 2011
    landrum,sc
    The U-joint was new, it was replaced 2 weeks before it gave out, it was not put in properly at the shop and that shop paid for some of the costly repairs that were need because it was their fault it was not put in properly.....SO I DO HAVE COVERALLS AND I DO GREASE REGULARLY....When a u-joint is bad it needs to be replaced....No matter how much grease you put into it, if it will wear out,,,That is why they make replacement parts

Short Fuse EOD Thanks this.
  11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    A lot of the stuff you listed shouldn't be an issue for at least a few years. It can seem overwhelming at the time but it's really not that bad. I'd say keep it or find an older truck that's been rebuilt. No way would I buy a 2014, and one that had 200k a year put on it to boot.

Straight Stacks and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  12. codyschmidt

Jan 25, 2011
    landrum,sc
    I typo'ed the mileage on the 2014...it has 336,000 miles and it was produced in August of 2013 which made it a 2014 model in manufacturer year

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.