TRUCK FINALLY PAID OFF BUT NOW...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by codyschmidt, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I may be married to my current truck. But a divorce or separation in immanant. Its just a matter of funds and timing.

I'll replace the money I've spent on this truck. Its paid for itself many times over and it will continue to serve me well until I am ready.

My only issue is old iron and worry about what I got myself into.. or new-ish to go after the fuel mileage. In my opinion its only a matter of time before we see $4 - $5 gal fuel. When that time comes.. that 379 may look nice but I'd rather be yanking at 7 - 8 mpg vs 5 - 6 mpg.

I'm really leaning hard on the 579. I saw one the other day. Black, long wheel base, no farings, polished tanks, polished stacks, sounded good. Almost thought it could have been a TMC truck..some guy out of Tn. That would be a keeper for me.

Hurst

glitterglue Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. glitterglue

glitterglue Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Adair Village, OR
    I had a chance a week back to take a spin in a 579 (bobtail -- http://www.dsutrucks.com/default.as...e=peterbilt&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory).

The 579 is a very nice truck. I loved the cab space & layout, the headroom (I'm 6' 1"), layout of the dash and sound dampening once the truck got going. I'm a bit torn between the 579 & the 389 though. Both have their pros & cons.

Hurst Thanks this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm not concerned about the emissions on the 579. It will never regen or use a drop of DEF. Thats all I can honestly say to that regard.

379/389 is my absolute #1 want to have truck with the 386 not far behind. 386 is getting long in tooth.. be hard to find a good one (pre DPF) with out any hidden surprises.

I may bite the bullet and look into financing a new 579 with 50% down. Thats a few years down the line for me now matter which way I decide to finally go.

Who knows.. may come across a 379/389 that I cant say no. I have a couple cars at home that I never intended to buy. Friend dragged me along to look at a car he wanted. Decided it wasnt for him.. next thing I know I'm calling my wife and asking her not to be angry. LOL.

Hurst

blacklabel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted