Truck idle and using the air brakes

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by paccarmike, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Heavy Load Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'd comb through the operator's manual to ensure I was operating the controls for the opti-idle correctly. I drive a Volvo, the controls in the sleeper berth are 'weird' and it takes a bit to understand how to get it all to work OK. However, I don't even have an opti-idle capability. I did eventually find how to cancel the idle shut off and if I really need to, I shut off the idle cancel and let that puppy run. On occasion I get fussed at for high idle times. But, I try diligently to keep idle usage down whe it is feasible. But, if I gotta get some sleep and the only way to do that comfortably is cancel the idle cutoff, I shut it down and let the truck run. It is imperative I get restful sleep to be safe. I can't get restful sleep when my sleeper cab is at 90 degrees or at 40 degrees (I do have a bunk heater that works really well and will keep sleeper berth comfy when it's as low as like zero outside).

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Yes, thank you. The way to idle the truck is with the opti idle. That is how it is designed. None of the other suggestions will work. Figure out how to properly use the opti idle and you will be fine.

4. Zack P

Zack P Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Ya know, it's a good thing there are no drivers that actually have sleep apnea running for these no idle companies.

5. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Heavy Load Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Merica
    Find a different outfit today, preferably one with long nose Petes!

Farmerbob1 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted