Truck issue long time no start

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Rubberens, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Rubberens

Rubberens Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I have a 96 international detroit 12L that has been for probably 5 years, my current truck broke down and i need to start that one up and switch the tires from the current truck to use it, im going to buy new batteries and starter, and change the oil before starting it up, now i was told to change the oil twice, does anyone reccommend that? First time when it turns on and let it run for a hr then change it again due to siting so long, anyone reccomd that or something better idea ? I

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    After sitting 5 years, it wouldn't seem far fetched to me to change the oil twice. Might be a little rust built up in there. Oil in there has probably degraded. I would probbly goes as far as to pull all the air intake hoses off and check for signs of critters getting in there. It would not be a good thing to try to start it and suck a mouse nest or nut shells into the head.

4. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Doing that will flush out everything in the motor. Not necessary in my opinion. After you drain the old oil just flush a gallon or 2 of new stuff through and call it good.

5. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Change the oil after you get it running and warmed up. Put a can of motor flush in, drive it a hundred miles, then drain and fill.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    When it truck sits for many years seals tend to go bad.

Especially wheel seals axle seals yoke seals transmission output seals, steering gear seals...

Hopefully not engine seals. Air pancake and brake chamber seals leak...

Check all hoses and belts and grease your throw out bearing.

Sitting is not good for a truck. I'm sure there's plenty more I'm not thinking of.

I wouldn't travel too far away from home until you have fix these things because you may find yourself stuck or you may blow out a seal for your rear and not realize it and next thing you know you have blown Rears or trans..

Air valves can also stick I like I said it's probably a bunch of other stuff I'm not thinking of...

Good luck

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    And all your coolant hoses too. Including heater hoses.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.