Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide!

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I don’t think it’s too far off though. Maybe by 10 or 15 cents. Costs have also rose since then so pretty comparable. ELD, insurance, driver wages, literally everything.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. 2 CHAINS

2 CHAINS Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2018
    If the economy is booming . Why no freight. Jobs are being created 4mill less on food stamps . Im sitting in a tstop looking for a load. 43 avail in Davenport 1 to Ca 1 to FL. Rest going to Canada

3. truckholic

truckholic Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2019
    They say, transportation and home building sectors are first to go up or down, major markets lags these two sectors by 6-9 months. that means economy may slow down in 6-9 months from now OR it may not, it is just little bump on the road.
    On the other hand just because these two sectors showing sluggishness does not mean economy is slowing but we never faced recession (yes the R word) without these two sectors declining first.... so go figure.

Buckeyes614 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Wow. A man can really get rich with loads like that.:(

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2018
    There is freight moving just a gazillion trucks also moving. You can tell just by eye if anything that there are many more trucks on the road then just a couple years ago.

Rideandrepair and JonJon78 Thank this.
  6. 2 CHAINS

Sep 8, 2018
    Truck stop parking is plentyful. There is no freight

7. 2 CHAINS

Sep 8, 2018
    Company im leased to is offering better rates than brokers. So i been pulling their freight . We have a shipper that pays 3.80mi that same load from the broker pays 2.00 mi on a good day.
    Brokers like Molo Solutions cut the 15day avg by 40% atleast since July 2018. Drivers still pull there junk so they play how low will they go game. Molo Solutions called me last week they for a rate i quoted 2.75 . They said drivers are taking bottom rates 2.75 your to high. They actually brag how low drivers are taking these loads.

Rideandrepair and 6wheeler Thank this.
  8. truckholic

truckholic Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I welcome downturn just like upturn! it is part of the cycle,
    Downturn provide so many opportunities if you are ready with cash, Up turn always bring wrong crowd to the game (mainly Greed), most of 'em don't have a clue how to manage business in tough times and that presents opportunities if you know what you are looking for and you have cash to invest. Those businesses will approach you to buy their stuff for 50-60-70 cents on dollar because they can't afford to make their payments. Also it gives you an opportunity to trim fat around your business to be lean and ready for next business up cycle.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m staying Optimistic, every Year at this time, it seems awful. I ended up with a weekend run, 564 miles paying $100 less than most 1000 mile runs were. Waited till last minute, 4:00 pm on Thursday.After turning down 4 cheap loads.They got covered I see,but not by Me.I no longer worry about “ losing the week”, instead I take a day off if need be. Not gonna make or break Me at this point. Either way I’m not going to give my services away for peanuts. No future in it.

gokiddogo and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    PNW
    The strategy I've employed is to operate within 300/350 miles north or south of my home. Most of the time I can achieve that.

I don't hesitate to deadhead home if nothing is clicking. I'd rather be home with my wifey than stuck at some truckstop...

When rates are up, especially during summer, fall and around the holidays, that's when I build up the cashflow and pay forward for the whole next year on certain line items like insurance, tags, etc.

This allows me to not sweat it during January through March. I can do $9,500 t/- worth of revenue in each of those months and take it real easy.

By the time April/May rolls around, the lane opens up and I get more agressive on maximizing my revenue per mile.

It's not exactly rocket science ;-)

These guys that HAVE to run 12k to 14k miles a month to essentially survive is just something I cannot relate to.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    Rideandrepair and gokiddogo Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted