Truck Parking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by snowez, Sep 28, 2021.

1. snowez

snowez Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    I have been parking at truck stops but I get very paranoid when people back in next to me. I think their going to hit my truck. It’s getting so bad that I can’t even sleep until I see someone pull in next to me and guide them into the spot. When I was training A foreigner hit us at 3am as we sleeping at a loves and now it rubbed off on me. I see some terrible drivers at truck stops where I wonder how they even got their CDL.

I’m wondering if you guys think it would be better to sleep on an on ramp or rest area? I guess I’m asking where do you guys park for your 10 hour break.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    After some time you'll just be happy you found a spot . Cameras and lawyers are your friend . Watch it with on ramps some cops get bored and decide to have you move .

4. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    There's only a handful of truck stops I sleep at anymore. Way too many idiots flock to them. I have the same issue you do, then if I finally fall asleep some egghead with straight pipes comes into the lot at 2,500 rpms and lets the Jake rip...I prefer to sleep at the shipper, receiver, or at one of my known mom & pop truck stops nobody really knows about.

5. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    I slept on a ramp once, never again. Rest stops were ok in a pinch but I like to be able to take a shower. I tried to stop at gas stations that had room for maybe 6-10 trucks, depending on who was doing the backing. I have nothing against the bigger stops except for what you mentioned, too many idiots.

6. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    You can pick your spots better, try getting straight back spots next to you. No guarantees but it will help, over time you will learn what's places are the best to stop at, I generally won't park in a sardine can place not due to myself but the other people.

7. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Yes, I can second this. My favorite spots are the ones facing aisles or pumps. Be mindful of creative parkers, often times if you’re facing the end of a row, trks will continue to park in line making the end aisle tighter.

I mostly go to megas for fueling and free showers; but I prefer to park at independents and give them my c-store business.

bryan21384 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I just keep my curtain cracked until someone backs in beside me on both sides of me. When I see them set up the truck to get ready to back in beside me, I'll immediately hop to the front seat while standing up and lean my head down towards the steering wheel and my hand on the steering wheel, so that they clearly see that I am watching them back in their spot.

And for the record yes, I've probably prevented about 5 - 10 backing incidents with me just being up there to watch them back in where they were about to hit me so I blew the air horn and held the air horn until their truck stopped. Sorry if other drivers were sleeping but it's a truck stop, it is what it is. And yeah it sucks having to keep an eye out for the drivers about to back into the parking spaces on both sides of you when night time is coming and you're supposed to be off duty, but that's trucking I guess.

Knock on wood I haven't been hit yet in a parking lot so I think it helps. I think it helps when they see that you are watching them back into their spot beside you, I think it makes drivers more cautious and more willing to get out and look.

Speed_Drums and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Try to park in between 2 other trucks. Its not an exact science as sometimes 1 of them will leave. Find a good spot to nose in. Better to get the trailer hit then the truck if thats what it comes to

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I had just gotten to sleep one night when someone hit my truck.
    Their trailer impacted the sleeper of my ProStar, smashing the window and smooshing everything in by about 8 inches.
    That was on the side my head was, and luckily I wasn't injured.
    By the time I got my wits back the truck was gone, and the Pilot had no video cameras on that area.
    No witnesses either.

Well, stuff happens.
    It did not stop me from parking at truck stops, and it did not make me paranoid enough to jump into the drivers seat every time someone backed in next to me.
    It has happened once on nearly 11 years out here.

And this happened after I had gone to sleep.
    One can not stay up all night if there is an empty space next to them, just on the off chance of missing the great event unfold.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Parking on ramps is a terrible idea. Don't do it.

With more experience you'll learn the nuances of strategic parking.

If you're a good backer upper, fill the holes, and you have someone besides you already ( at least until they leave ).

If there's multiple spots open, try to park with someone at least on your driver side. Most people hit the guy on their blind side. So leave you're passenger side with the open spot.

I'll move one, maybe even two times at a truck stop if I think there's a better spot.

And once you become a good backer upper, at high risk truck stops, nose in.

Lonesome, JolliRoger, dunchues and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.