Truck purchase- good deal?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DDlighttruck, Feb 6, 2017.

1. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    I could just be being cautious but think I would have the alignment checked or at least keep a close eye on the steer tires for a while

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    So is mine.

4. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    It doesn't matter that the ECU isn't original, you don't care about the data from years ago anyways. You want to know if there are any recent issues. Get the print out.

Also, who did the motor swap? Do you have the paperwork with the VIN on it? Lots of old trucks are being sold with a "new" or overhauled motor but when you ask for proof, they either "lost" it or it's a vague receipt with not VIN. If someone really spent 10-20k on a swap or overhaul, you can bet that they saved the receipt for records and tax purposes. Lots of trucks I've been looking at claim to be overhauled but they somehow misplaced the paperwork Don't take their word for it.

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  5. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    I can get the receipts, I have asked for maintenance records. I physically saw the "new" motor at the shop, then saw the old motor going back, and even helped work on it one day.
    I appreciate the advice though.

I'll call this week to start booking a dyno/ecm dump. I've got one oil sample kit already.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Also test drive it at 80k if you can, some issues and vibrations won't come up until you're fully loaded going up hill.

nax and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Is that so?....hmmm...good to know

Note to self (find a nice stretch in VA without bears hiding in bushes)...

WAIT....u meant 80mph or 80K lbs?

8. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Says right there 80k.

It felt fine driving it the 30 miles to the yard. I'd like to get the lights all hooked back up and working, safetied n plated, etc. Then convince the boss to use it as the local truck for a week or two. See if any other gremlins pop up right away

9. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    I meant 80,000lb or whatever the max for the truck is. Some issues don't surface until you're under a full load. My truck was great until I got above 70,000, then there was a small vibration while accelerating or cruising uphill. Turned out to be the carrier bearing, now it's fine.

What I'm trying to say is don't let your first load be the first time you tested your truck out fully loaded. That is not the time to find problems.

nax and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.