Truck safety features

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by timidlady, Jan 22, 2020.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They're also useful in prevent trailers being dragged over hoods, thru ditches and being backed into other objects.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In our time long ago, the best way out of a jack knife is not to get into one. If at all possible. If you did get into one you have about 10 degrees separation angle before it's irreversible by the driver taking correct action. There are two kinds of jackknifes. Tractor and trailer.

I don't understand anyone making noises about bad drivers. There are good drivers you keep and the rest you send home one way or another for a variety of reasons. Even bad days can happen to anyone. Including the good ones.

A 18 wheeler is a combination vehicle. It's possible to have a jackknife with the way those are constructed. Yes you can put in systems and some have defenses onboard against jackknifing. However it's up to the driver not to be in a situation where one is possible.

A tractor trailer will give you plenty of warning before it finally breaks loose. If you were a functioning professional instead of a steering wheel holder your eyes will tell you where it might happen before you get there. Ive had many jackknifes and gotten myself out of them every time. Even got the wife out of her first ice jacknife that lost most of our Convoy who had no place to go. Wife as a student obeyed my orders instantly and we got out of that one as did number two behind us in a much older manual truck. It only took a small adjustment to the wheel and a freeze on inputs to the wheels. (Power, braking, turning etc.) turned out our automatic knew what the drives were missing and followed us down in large gear changes to keep power on them.

Ive said enough. Im going to add someone to the list that I don't have to go through this all over again the next time. There are things that are part of trucking and a good driver will do what it is possible not to have them. I would say the majority are adequate having gotten though without a jackknife.

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    and his 5th wheel looked like it was mounted on a steel turntable.....was funny lookin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.