Truck Stop Cowboys

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by jon69, Nov 28, 2020.

1. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    When did wearing boots make you look like a cowboy??
    A good pair of boots are comfortable, functional and if you have to get out of that truck in a hurry like in a wreck, you will appreciate them more than you will those flip flops or tennis shoes!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Back in the 80's I ran a SE Regional run NJ to Fla to NYC back to NJ. It was a driver no touch and I felt that being neat and clean portrayed a great image to the public. I wore button down long sleeve shirts, double knit trousers and western boots and looked better then some drivers in dirty jeans and t-shirts above there bellies. No hat though.

4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    X horse trader? I sell my cows @ current market value.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    "That's the market rate for this lane."

Rideandrepair and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    What's the difference between a country boy and a cowboy?
    Country boys know better than to work with cows.
    If ya laughed then you probably understand. If ya didn't I doubt I could explain it to you.l

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    He takes a market average between Cottonwood, Galt, and Fortuna and uses that for a starting point.. After the inevitable argument it usually works out pretty good. When you figure him paying for the hauling and the fact that he usually takes everything we have with very few dropouts we usually come out just above market.
    He'll stay all day while we sort but we have to feed him lunch.

8. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    What do cowboy hats and hemorrhoids have in common?

Only Aholes get them!

I've heard that quite a few times when my dad was drinking...

9. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    Well ive read the thread throughout the day and have to decided to take a minute to respond. Cowboy huh? I'm going to gander the op and most people that would have a problem with my clothing choices couldn't tell the difference between cowboy boots and regular slip on boots. Now I mean no offense by that but my point being ive lived on a farm since I was knee high to grasshopper.

. Ive dressed the same most all of my life. When I get up in the morning I put on my faded worn out blue jeans. Put on a button down shirt. Slip into my boots and pull my hat on. Now I dont wear a cowboy hat I wear a regular ball cap. The one I have on today happens to be a tractor supply company hat, its cheap a whole 5 dollars and worn in to where it fits good. My blue jeans are faded and worn in the knees from working in them. They've been in mud blood and cow sht. So have my boots. Still clean up good though. My button down I have on today is a long sleeved pearl snapped button down shirt today and is even plaid. My boots a worn out Justin's that fit better than any pair of tennis shoes ive ever worn. I personally cannot wear shoes the soles are to soft and I feel like I'm walking around barefoot. Boots on the other hand have hard soles ankle support and are made for work they're comfortable.

. Now with the way im dressed today. I could go work on the farm. Drive the truck all day or I could go out to dinner and take it easy today, which was my plan when I got dressed this morning. Its cool out so the sleeves are nice. Im dressed fashionably enough to go out to dinner with the old lady if I shined my boots up. Could be on the way home and see someone needing a hand and be dressed to help em.

. Now the same argument with how we dress could be used right along side of having a hood or a curb sniffer truck. Its all about pride in yourself and what you do. For example im dressed in a manner that I could go to most any customer and meet all of their safety requirements. If two people show up at a customer one dressed in boots jeans and a collared shirt and one in dirty sweat pants flip flops and a three day old shirt. Which one do you think leaves a positive impression. Now let's face it most customers could care less of anything about us.

. As for us wondering around looking at stuff ill explain that real quick. If im walking the truckstop im looking at the nice looking trucks with chicken lights and chrome. Im looking at the worn out freightliner beat to death with garbage piled up ever which a ways and im wondering how anyone could live like a hog. Im watching the mega carrier drivers and wondering which one has pride in what they do. The ones who really want to do this and those who do it for the paycheck and that's all it'll ever be. Im looking at the flatbedders and checking securement wondering why I don't go ahead and switch to a flatbed company and start driving one because I believe I'd enjoy it. Im looking at the trucks nosed in and wondering if they have a refeer or are idling. Im looking at the guys polishing chrome and think about striking up a conversation. Im watching the guys tinker with their trucks and seeing if they need a hand. Im watching drivers back in to see if they might need a hand. Often times I catch a driver outside of their company truck and see how they like the company because it never hurts to have a drivers insight into a company that I may go drive for. But above it all I see people everywhere I look sacrificing everything we have to do a job most couldn't or wouldn't do. Spending most of their lifes away from their families for whatever reason they do it for and it gives me a slight bit of respect for every driver in that parking lot except for the nasty ones tossing out bags and bottles of excrement.

. Evidently you stuck a sore spot with me cause I wrote you a book so there you go thats what goes through this ttuck stop cowboys head as he goes throughout his day.

10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I'd like to get a second account here so I can thank this twice. It was a good read.

11. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    I tried my best. Mustve missed my calling should've been an author. Thank you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.