truck stop ettiquit to grill or not to grill

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by southbaydad, Dec 17, 2009.

1. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    since I am new to otr trucking but enjoy barbecueing at home, is it legal or frowned on by the truck stop "police" lol if they exist---- to have a small barbecue and crank it up (charcoal or propane) (like a small camping stove or charbroil type)in the lot to barbcue up some burgers , dogs, sausages, corn or whatever? you know -- good ole home cooked food would be a nice treat and maybe "cheaper " treat than the ole greasy spoons.all the time... does this happen or would it be really weird. Maybe the truck stop manager /food/ restaurant manager might frown on it?? of course you would have to make sure you had some open space ie: not cookin up next to the fuel tanks----duh.. !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Back row BBQ's happen daily!

southbaydad Thanks this.
  4. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Just like most things, always better to ask permission than beg for forgiveness!
    I've carried around a small propane grill for a few years now and when I get a chance to take my kids with me we LOVE the real beef Oscar Mayer weiners! (cuz mom only buys the generic brand) My daughter told me she never knew hot dogs tasted that good! I told her it was the special ingredient a.k.a. diesel exhaust, that made 'em taste so good.

southbaydad Thanks this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You said it, Redd!

Mr Southbay, I notice the oversize banner on the front of your rig. Heres what you do:

Say you get laid over somewheres for a weekend. Park in the back row of the truckstop where the flatbedders/ oversize/heavyhaulers are congregating. Some of the heavyhaulers will have makeshift canopies off the sides of their rigs and lawnchairs. Break out the grill and join the party.

6. southbaydad

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    good to know - thanks

7. southbaydad

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    now yer talkin triplesix !!!- I can see it now !!! a good ole tailgate party- how bout settin up the easyup, cooler filled with ??, tv on an ext cord and good ole nascar race playing Aaaaaaah I can seeeeee it now, barbecue smoke rolling out from the canopy, good food, good freinds, good eats , and a good race, topped off with some apple pie for dessert!!!!! yummmm yummmmmm. lol
    thanks for the info.

8. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Most big companies will not allow you to have things like propane cylinders in the cab. And if you haul certain kinds of hazmat, there are restrictions put on flammables that can be in the cab, so it can become illegal depending on your load. Also, its illegal to have a fire within 250 feet (iirc) of certain flammable placarded loads..

I'm not telling you to follow these rules, thats up to YOU, and i couldnt care less if you follow them or not. However, I am going to warn you....you need to check these rules, and cover your butt...if the company doesnt allow it, dont do it where people from the same company might snitch on you. And less obvious, if people on here know who you work for, be very careful about what you say, because most companies have spies on this forum. If you drive a propane tanker, dont grill next to it. If you park next to a propane tanker, dont grill next to it. Just common sense. :) I personally see no problem with keeping a portable grill in the truck, and i'd actually like to have one...

9. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    If the manager has a problem with it, boycott his location. I'm boycotting the Baytown, TX Flying J because I watched the manager run off some guys that were polishing their wheels. "omg this is parking for customers only! you're tresspassing! get out or ill call the cops!". I note that they sell polish there.

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Can tell you ain't no skateboarder....:biggrin_2559:

11. southbaydad

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    hi phroziac ya...good words to keep in mind "cover your butt" and also as TruckerDave said in the above post " it is better to ask permission than beg for forgiveness".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.