Truck stop observations

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wolverine11, Mar 28, 2016.

1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Im not trying to pass myself off as a choir boy, I just found out a radio I had tuned over a year ago had the limiter removed and I just recently had it put back in and realigned, so Im as guilty as the next guy, but from now on I will run stock or specifically say leave limiter intact and tune up to manufacture service manual guidelines. The only thing is even the limiter was removed I was still able to get out 15 to 20 miles, wonder why my signal didnt fade like the two drivers in PA?

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    I own the Performer 5000 trucker but it's too tall for mirror bracket mounting on my prostar, even with a shorter 5 inch shaft. I beat the hell out of the whip on I90 in NY.

4. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Yeah, 74" is a bit much for the upper mirror arm on most trucks.

5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    What would removing the modulation limiter have to do with how far you got out?

6. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Harmonics i.e. wasting power.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  7. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Well everything Ive been reading on this forum, and have seen 1st hand out here, if the limiter has been removed and the modulation is above 100% , then chances are you have harmonics and some of the wattage is not on the fundemental frequency, and consequently your signal will be very loud but will fade after 5 miles or so. Was just wondering why my Galaxy 99v2 having had the limiter removed and modulation at about 120% was still able to transmit 15+ miles and didnt experience the fadeout. I primarily used it in my personal vehicle running into a amp, so I generally kept mic gain at 12:00 and rf power on low, the only reason I initially took it to Clays was because I put it in my big truck with tf power on high and mic gain wide up and it woul squeal with talkback on with a sra 198 mic, and other radios like a General Lee I never had a problem.

8. Evvy Thomas

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    I've always been under the impression that once the limiter has been clipped it is up to the user to keep the radio from over modulating via the mic gain setting.

Assuming that's true then with you keeping your gain set at 1200 you were probably not over modulating at all and we're likely even a tad quiet. Your amp was still pushing that signal out for you though.

I'd imagine now that its fixed and tuned correctly you'd be able to run the gain wide open and with that amp get out the same if not farther, and louder as well.

But again I'm making assumptions that I'm correct about the mic gain setting.

9. Evvy Thomas

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    Yup. I knew it was too tall and I leaned it forward but I just kind of eye-balled and was wrong lol. Lesson learned.

With the 8" shaft it hit the first bridge I went under in PA and so I pulled over, took it off. Stopped and got a 5" shaft and hit a couple more bridges in NY before I was able to pull over again.

The next day for ####s and giggles I made the mount vertical and installed the antenna direct to the stud and was still rubbing the bridges in the granny lane so I gave up on it.

10. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I think I'll go with what ol' Russ told me. Common sense really.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  11. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    So anyone ever figure out if graphite works in hub oil and how much is needed??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.