Truck stop scams....

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by EdwardTheTrucker, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    My parole officer told me something I will never forget;(juvenile 16 yrs old) "You can justify anything you do,or dont do". Over the years,what he told me back in 1976 has proved itself;over and over again..Come on people,be BETTER than the "man" at the very end,all the B.S. wont matter,,Well,nuff said.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I_HATE_MINIVANS Heavy Load Member

That's true. But what I was saying is that I wouldn't consider it worth my time to do something about. I simply don't care about the big fleets. I'm not going to become a one-man vigilante trying to fix everything that's wrong in the world. I just meant that if it was a driver from my company, selling company fuel, THEN I'd consider it worth my time and effort.

I didn't mean I approve of mega-fleet drivers selling their company's fuel. I just said I don't care much if they do. Them big fleets need to learn the definition of "karma". What goes around, comes around." If you rip off your drivers on a daily basis and then brag about it at carriers' meetings (like the corporate fat-cats at CR England did when talking about lease purchase programs) don't be surprised if your drivers find ways to rip YOU off.

4. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    I can understand your position, it has to do with company loyalty, and that is ok too. I might not go out of my way to protect yours when I can protect the bottom line of mine a little more easily. Sometimes it might only take a shout on the radio to let someone know we have a truck number and company name.

5. I_HATE_MINIVANS

I_HATE_MINIVANS Heavy Load Member

Yeah now we're seeing eye-to-eye on this. That's a good idea though, regardless of whether the fuel is being stolen from the people who sign your paycheck, it's at least worth a call-out on the CB. Maybe there's someone from the victim carrier nearby with his CB on who DOES consider it worth his time to report.

I know what would happen if I saw one of our drivers selling company fuel though. I'd call the VP's cell phone (even if it's 3 in the morning) and give him a truck number, trailer number, try getting a telephoto picture of the driver standing next to a non-company truck with his fuel card, etc. The transaction would probably go through because he wouldn't be able to cancel his TCH card quickly enough but I'm pretty sure that guy would be fired on the spot. Police would be the ones to inform him that he's fired. I'd also try getting a photo of the license plates on the buyer's truck too.

inkeper Thanks this.
  6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I don't care who they are or who they work for, a thief is a thief. I have heard some of them talking about the company did something to them. Maybe they did and maybe they didn't. Whether true or not it is no excuse for stealing. I have had a few drivers steal from me and I bet they probably said the same thing to justify their actions. It makes the buyer feel better when he doesn't have to think about being part of a scam. If I see anyone selling fuel or stealing then I will blow the whistle. I have absolutely NO sympathy for a thief. More than likely these people need a fix or money to pay for some drugs. Maybe they just need more money to feed the video games. I really don't care. I figure that I work hard for my money. I expect others to do the same. If someone steals from a retailer they steal from all of us. Those costs are passed along to the consumer. When a driver steals from his company he is stealing a raise or benefit from all of his co drivers. When I hear some people complain about the low wages in this industry, I think about those who steal from their company. One hundred gallons of diesel runs about $400. That fuel will need to be replaced. You can be certain it won't be the driver who digs into his pocket to fill the tank. He will call his company and say that someone stole his fuel or not even say anything. The company will see the drop if mph and know immediately what has happened.

Drivers steal chains, binders, tarps and anything else you can think of and someone pays for his theft. Part of that comes out of the pockets of his fellow drivers. Rather than being able to give a raise the company needs to pay to replace what was stolen. That will happen whether the company is large or small. We all have a vested interest in getting the low life's out of this business. We won't get rid of all of them, but we can put a dent in it.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    BINGO.

One of the reasons I will NEVER work for a company as a driver under the percentage method.

Too many times ripped off by thieves.

8. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    lol are you serious??? i took a glock .40 to 3 different shops....the highest offer was $130 bucks

sold it for $350 to somebody "on the street"

private buyers are going to pay twice as much as a dealer

9. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I got $325 in Chattanooga (in 2007) for a $375 Ruger .45 that I bought in 2005. Perhaps you met with some unscrupulous gun buyers.

Of course any dealer, whether guns, bikes or cars, would pay somewhat less for any item, since they're in business to resell it and make money - they also deal with inventory and other business costs.

My point was that if some guy is going door to door at a truckstop, and its not a driver you just saw climb out of his truck in order to sell you his extra CB radio, avoid... because it's either hot, or just junk.

10. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    that i agree with......i generally buy my guns from the stores but i have bought from private sellers who were strangers to me and i havent had a problem yet.......now if somebody got on the CB and said their selling a brand new 1911 for $100 bucks, i would know what the deal is.......im street smart enough and grew up in a place where i had to learn things like that

same with the sob stories, people asking for money........im not exaggerating when i say that ive had that happen to me hundreds if not thousands of times because ive always lived in rough areas......its almost every single time i go to the gas station, they see me white ### sitting in a nice truck and decide to tell me about their grandmas heart operation thats on the other side of town and they just need $10 to get there

11. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Right... or the minivan just ran out of gas, they just need a few more bucks, and then they can run their pregnant wife to the ER, since she's due any minute... and drop by to see mom after her cancer surgery...

I just pick up my mace... and ask them if they watch "COPS"... because I've got the REALLY good stuff that you need a badge or FOP ID to get...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.