Truck Stops Cameras, what they really record.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucker42BC, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Trucker42BC

Trucker42BC Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    Have you guys ever wondered how good truck stop cameras are? Like at fuel islands? I'm a brand new owner operator and always wondered if the security cameras are good at truck stops. So I called and asked a few pilots and flying j. And pretty much was told they do not have camera facing at the trucks at fuel islands Only facing across fuel islands.

So what if someone was to get a hold of a fuel card or credit card and used it on there own? How would they find out?

All owner operators out there! Be careful someone is always after free and willing to steal. It happened to me. Even worst I was accused of it. 100% innocent to. Becareful not only on the road but the people you deal with and you talk to.

what a wake up call I had. Unbelievable keep trucking folks

D.Tibbitt and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Get a dash cam. Don’t rely on others for anything.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Fuel stations care about slip and fall lawsuits. That's the only reason they have cameras. Any other use like catching a thief or fraud is just a byproduct. All that's insured so the company doesn't care.
    (At least that was the attitude of the several dozen gas stations I put cameras in back when I did that work)

D.Tibbitt, truckdriver31 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They suck. Many years ago when I was a company driver in a brand spankin new truck that probably had less than 5,000 miles on it somebody hit it in the parking lot. My first new truck actually and I was proud to have one finally after 3 years of busting it! Well, some dope in a box truck tore the fender off while it was parked and I was inside the Lovell Rd Pilot in Knoxville, TN taking a shower. Everybody saw it but nobody saw nothing. The camera footage was grainy. Police basically said sorry about your luck...

Had to bobtail back to the yard and get temporary loaner until it was fixed. It ruined my revenue intake that week. Yeah, don't expect those cameras to be any help. Watch the ID Channel and see how many unsolved murders get caught on grainy gas station cameras. They might as well not even waste the money on them.

6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i went to fill up my king ranch one day. someone left there card in the reader on the pump. i spent a couple hours on facebook and google. went and found the old lady and returned it.

7. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I've had a person hit me at fuel islands at older small loves and they had no footage even though multiple cameras were facing right at the entire fuel island, not just the pump cams. I wouldn't rely on them at all, the new locations have even more cameras but who knows,

truckdriver31 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm not sure why you would drive in to a truck stop and expect anything but to get robbed. There are even big signs out by the roads that tell you they are there to rob you.

JoeyJunk, staceydude and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.