Truck Stops in British Columbia/Alberta, Canada

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by CoveringBases, Feb 3, 2017.

1. CoveringBases

CoveringBases Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I'm starting a new job next week, and I accepted a position that will have me driving into BC/Alberta, Canada once or twice a week. I have never driven into Canada before, let alone in a tractor trailer. I don't know what to expect.

I have grown to love Love's and Pilot here in the US, and am not a huge fan of Petro and TA. I also tend to avoid the smaller truck stops, mostly because I like knowing what to expect, especially when it comes to coffee, showers, etc. ;) I also am not a fan of any truck stop that requires you to pay for staying there, or fuel a certain amount to stay there. (The funny thing about that is the ones that DON'T require you to fuel a certain amount, or pay to stay there, is where I do almost ALL of my fueling!)

Anyway, now I'm just rambling. Please tell me what to expect of Truck Stops in the BC/Alberta areas.

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The quantity and quality varies widely depending on where you are going. For the most part, in or near the large cities you will find truck stops similar to what you have in the U.S., but far fewer than what you're used to. Outside the big cities "true" truck stops are very few and far between.

There are places to get fuel, but mostly cardlocks, places to stop and eat, and places to park, but not always together.

Trucker Path is your friend.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    negativecold13 Thanks this.
  4. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    What are cardlocks?

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Most fuel stops are cardlocks. Many have absolutely zero facilities. But there are usually places to stop at near by.
    Alberta/BC is a lot of area to cover. Assuming you are sticking to the lower Trans Canada: in BC there are major truck stops in Golden, Sicamous, Kamloops, Merritt, Hope, Chilliwack. And other assorted smaller set ups.

CoveringBases Thanks this.
  6. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Pumps that require a fleet card to operate. Typically there are no, or limited, other facilities as there is usually no one in attendance.

tinytim and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  7. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    If you have TruckersPath, and directories for Petro-Pass, Husky, Shell and UFA (available online), you're golden.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Try not to fuel up in Canada and limit your overall spending.They re way more expensive then the states.

10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You get what you pay for. :)

With the current exchange rate most things probably aren't more expensive right now.

You'll want to carry Canadian cash with you and make sure you check with your cell phone provider about your options. Intl roaming can be costlyl

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I use to deliver once sometimes twice a week to Canada,I was shocked how more expensive Canada is.My company always wanted me to fuel up before crossing the border.

tinytim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.