Truck Stops? v Grocery Store

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Black Warrior, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Black Warrior

Black Warrior Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I'm not a trucker yet. I'm studying right now for the test and plan on going out to school in a couple months. I workout everyday. Calesthenics mainly. I am concerned about food on the road.

I hear the stops have horrible food. And it's expensive. My diet consists of bananas, peanuts, and other fruit mainly. Sandwiches and wheat bread. Is it possible to get to an actual grocery store at any time while driving?

I hear there is a 24 or 36 hour reset where you do not drive and so may be able to pick up essential things needed? I just want to be able to somehow manage my weight and fitness without losing my progress while on the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    There are many places to shop for groceries including wal mart.

4. Warrior Pump

Warrior Pump Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Sometimes grocery stores/Wal-Marts are within walking distance of truck stops.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You will find that grocery stores and Walmarts and the like that are "truck friendly" or near truck stops are far and few between but they are here and there. We never bobtail anywhere so this makes things more problematic as opposed to working at some gigs where you may typically bobtail somewhere a few times a month

If you will be OTR and staying out for extended periods, the best bet is to stock up heavily on the nonperishables from your preferred list while home. Try and keep your dining expectations realistic. The simpler and less complicated your preferred foods list is, the better.

But if you're "regional" and can be home every week or two, that makes things a lot easier and gives you more options.

cybill234 Thanks this.
  6. Black Warrior

Black Warrior Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2017
    This is good info. What free time do OTR drivers get? I have called a few companies and the recruiters are never straight forward with me about this issue. They dance around it.

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Depends, free time usually will find yourself locked in the cab of your truck. The ELD, from my understating will not allow us to bobtail to say a steak house or movie theater. And then you have company policies, some will require you to stay with the vehicle. Much will depend on who you work for and how the ELD is programmed. These ELDs are really going to make a mess of things out here in regards to you doing anything.

I was talking to a Swift driver, long story but the truck stop we were at did not have food. I told him to head on up the road, just a few miles, and there was a fuel stop that had several restaurants within walking distance. He couldn't move the truck, the ELD had him shut down. I saw him inside eating one of those god awful frozen cheese burgers.

This ain't trucking, this is slavery. Good luck.

8. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    BS , as long as you not loaded you can use your PC how you want, I am staying 4-6 weeks at a time as OTR, and manage to bobtail to Wal-Mart's, movie theaters, visit downtowns etc, without any problems with ELD!

Just passing by Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I don't have one. But, I do talk to drivers that do. As I stated, it depends on the company you drive for. And no need to be insulting. Reread my post.

10. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    When I was with Swift you don't have PC line 5 as a company driver. Although you can BT anywhere you want as long as you had any of your 11 hr drive time left.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    How far can you walk? In my time anything within 5 miles is legit for food, entertainment etc. I once walked to the hotel at San Antonio Petro which was about 2 miles east on the freeway and service roads. Got a room and no problem. A nice walk under the stars. If I had to I sometimes walked up to 15 miles, it only takes about 7 hours max one way.

You buy food and cook it in the truck using a dutch oven or something. And yes sometimes it's horrible that is when you know not to eat it when you consider that your gut is about 70% of your total immune defenses to being poisoned, sick, infected etc.

You can certainly stop somewhere for a few minutes to get something. Make it that 30 minute mandatory break for today. Have at it. Mall of America in MN? Stay a day. Ha.... Don't get lost.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.