truck stops vs fuel stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by starmac, Apr 22, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I know the world has changed, and in many ways left me behind, but seeing the thread (QT is the best) I have to say, I never considered them to be a truck stop, but instead a fuel stop. In my mind there are several differences, but the biggest one is I never considered any place that didn't have a sit down, waitress pour the coffee, restaurant a truck stop, Those that had a hot dog or subway or something like that I considered to be a fuelstop. Before I quit running the lower 48, truckstops were in the going away mode, and many were calling themselves travel plazas instead of truck stops.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I think most peoples definition of a "Truck Stop" would require it to have a full service shop, and full service sit down restaurant.

4. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well that is my definition, I can even do without the shop, as long as they have a full service eatin joint , that caters to truckers. The shop and a truck wash at least close by is icing.

D.Tibbitt and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    My definition of a truck stop begins with the idea that they don't sell gasoline. At all. That eliminates all 4 wheelers, and since almost no large trucks these days run on gasoline it takes out the class 3-6 straight jobs also. A true full service truck stop would include a shop equipped to do a variety of repairs with a mechanic named Hank who is missing a couple of fingers, a 24 hour full service restaurant, showers and probably a room full of telephones. And they would take Comchek, Western Union, Mid-Continent, FCS and and company checks if you were on the NATSO list.
    A game room would be in order with at least 5 or 6 pinball machines, like Evil Knievel and Kiss
    Oh yes, a CB shop in a little trailer on the edge of the parking lot, which would accommodate at least 200 trucks

Holy bejusus molly, did I just transport myself back to 1977? Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life forms here....

D.Tibbitt, Numb and Intothesunset Thank this.
  6. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Denny's does not count as a real restaurant. So real truck stops are almost extinct.

I like speedways for fuel and snacks. Sometimes parking spots.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well dennys is sure not something I would go out of my way for, but they do have much of what many truckstops have to offer any more, at least they have a warm body to pour coffee. lol

8. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    In agreement with everyone here a real truck stop has to have a sit down full service restaurant, enough showers to accommodate drivers, a full service shop, open 24 hours seven days a week, a paved and stripped parking lot, separate areas for truck drivers only. Wait it sounds like the 70's! I must be at a 76 or Truck Stops of America. Oh hell it was just a dream. At least I lived it when I started driving back in 1969 and hope to see a few stops stay that way. They even fueled your truck and washed your windows for you. The good old days.

9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well if that is the case, it should also have a sign in the restaurant that states truckers will be served first, you may have to wait if you are not a trucker, or something to that affect. The old Teds bull pen and the Cheyenne Sapps had signs something like that.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.