Truck stops with hiking trails! For dogs and their truckers.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by PermanentTourist, May 18, 2019.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I always carry a fly rod and use it when the opportunity comes up. I usually find a pull off along a stream an hour or two before dusk so I can get a line wet before it gets dark and I don't have to worry about a fishing license when I'm not in my home state.

A truck stop with a stocked bass pond and decent food would be fantastic.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker Jon

Trucker Jon Bobtail Member

May 27, 2018
    I stopped at exit 121 last summer. Some of the best scenery in the country imo, some nice long trails by the river also. Dont expect any reception for miles though, the good life!! Be safe

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  4. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    That's absolutely true, and most days I just walk on random roads (I try to walk a minimum of 2 miles a day)

But you do need a trail to walk with a dog off leash.

86scotty and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  5. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Oh yeah, I remember that one. Piney forest sorta place. You can just walk off into the woods there.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    You would love going to Alaska in the summer then. Soo many places just like you describe, especially in Yukon. Sometimes you can be the only truck in your own little pull-off by a creek. Feels like camping.

Lepton1 and SteveScott Thank this.
  7. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I usually carry a bicycle on the truck. The TA in Denver to Golden and back with a few detours is a nice 45-ish mile ride. Google maps will show you where all the decent paths and I use them because who wants to be run over by some peckerhead with their phone in hand?

86scotty, pagan22 and PermanentTourist Thank this.
  8. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I also have a bike in my truck, little folding commuter bike that I keep on the top bunk. Too small for a 45 mile ride, but great when I'm stuck in a boring truck stop 4 or 5 miles from a town.

pagan22 and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I forgot a good one. No trails, per se, but it's my favorite rest stop in the country, just about a hundred from my house. I-26 rest area in Tennessee near Sam's Gap about halfway between Asheville NC and Johnson City/81 junction in TN. It's freakin' beautiful and it's a pretty big loop to go around it. I've never seen it full either because few people take that route due to the climbs and lack of truck stops. It's on the North side of 26 but you can access it from either direction.

10. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I agree! I used to live in Mars Hill, NC which is just past that rest area going East. I used to park my truck there on home time. Not many rest areas you can feel comfortable doing that. This is by far the best rest area in the country that I have seen. Great parking, beautiful scenery, there is a short trail there so some hiking can be done. Beautiful, clean restrooms. Too bad I don't get there often any more.

86scotty, PermanentTourist and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    The Kwik Trip and Loves in Fond Du Loc, Wisconsin Interstate 41 exit 97 has a 34 mile long trail that's right behind them. It leads down to the Horicon Marsh National Wildlife area.

I haven't imade it that far, LOL as it's at the far end of the path, I suppose those of you who bike ride could possibly make it that far...

In the winter they use it as a snowmobile path.

Nonetheless it's a nice and peaceful place to get out of the truck and get some exercise...

20190830_185702.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.