Truck Technology

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by cybill234, Dec 14, 2018.

1. cybill234

cybill234 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    How common is it for trucks to be equipped with blind spot detection, LaneWatch, and/or backup cameras?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i am not sure at the moment, trucks have that.

we have mirrors, and we watch what we are doing.

it's the 4 wheelers, that hang around us, (in our blind spots) that should not..

either quickly pass us, and get on your way, or get behind us, and stay there.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  4. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    regarding back up cameras, there may be some out there, i would think however, it would be mounted on straight trucks (like UPS delivery as these are NOT tractor trailers),

to have them on trailers it might be difficult unless the camera was to be wireless..

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Some fleets run lane deviation and blind spot camera systems. Many fleets run forward collision avoidance systems. Backup cameras and semi trailers just aren’t practical.

6. cybill234

cybill234 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    That is unfortunate that the availability of these safety features esp blind spot detection has not led to its widespread implementation in trucking. I hope this changes in the near future. I appreciate your replies.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    They would be constantly going off, and that would be very annoying.

buddyd157 and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  8. cybill234

cybill234 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    I see.
    In my vehicle, the bsd is a flashing light on my side mirrors as opposed to an audible alarm. In others, the bsd is a camera view of the right blind spot.
    But I can see how some could view this feature as a distraction.

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    My six mirrors work just fine... :D

doc43204, Bakerman and cybill234 Thank this.
  10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    as i am a witness to, we as truck drivers have (many times) engine and cabin noise. many trucks are simply not that well insulated from the outside noise, as a passenger car, pick up truck, or SUV 's are.

we have many times depending on how the truck is equipped, a full array of dash gauges, lights, and switches to deal with.

now yes, we scan our mirrors every few seconds, that's a given, but the noise from the blind spot detection (of which i never drove a truck with any such system), just adds to the overall cabin noise(s) we deal with each and every day.

i have recently driven an SUV, a Nissan in fact, with that blind spot detection, and yes, only a flashing light would go off, near the outside mirror...

would you believe me if i said, i paid no attention to that, over my mirrors..???

true, it was a small light, actually hardly noticeable to me.....

i think to be noticeable to a trucker, they would have to be mounted on the dash, right in front of us.....

when the DOT mandates this feature someday, it'll only add to the already horrendous costs of buying equipments, but in sharp contrast, if a company deletes such and item, and the driver crashes, we all know the lawyers will make that a big deal, that the accident could have been prevented......making for a much higher payout awarded.......

i think frankly, the blind spot system, (and many other systems) was fully designed for the dummy 4 wheelers who do not concentrate on driving, but instead, are on the cell phone, or texting, or talking with others in the car....

the AAA did a study, and found that a VERY HIGH percentage of truck/car related crashes, were indeed, the FAULT of the car driver.....

what does that say for crashes that involve all cars only...???

same thing...doesn't it...????

stwik, cybill234 and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  11. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have 7....so there......!!!!!!!

doc43204 and cybill234 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.