Truck & Trailer Insurance for New Owner Operators

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by F1Trucker, May 7, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I've had Progressive quote me most recently $9500 (with a sane payment plan) but when I went to start the policy they raised the rate up to 13k and only offering me to pay HALF upfront and the other half in 30 days. Seems they're using this across the board after hearing they've done it to you too.

When leased on to a carrier the OO is running off of the carrier's Liability so there is no benefit other than adding the obligatory driving experience. However, if the OO uses their own NTL/Bobtail insurance policy that can help establish a commercial insurance policy history. Most underwriters want to see a 2 year period for that. It certainly helps.

jamespmack and RustyBolt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    My numbers are nearly identical to that. If I were to reactivate my numbers with my current trucks it would cost me about $45k the first year. I will stick to being leased :)

jamespmack Thanks this.
  4. Armatus

Armatus Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2017
    How do you guys feel about buying an old MC number for a new driver to lower insurance costs?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    It won't work. Plenty of threads here to break it down for you. Also, I don't think new drivers should be worrying about being a new entrant until they've got a couple years under their belt in the field.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Try National General insurance. That’s who I use. Was $15k first year for one truck and I think about $2000 for cargo which was separate. After first year I pay $22k for 3 trucks

7. STR8STAKZ

STR8STAKZ Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2014
    New owner/op 6 years driving experience. $8568 first year through a local insurance agent. 1mil/100k

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. SuperDaveDenver

SuperDaveDenver Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Who was your insurance company and agent?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    The major factors that influence your rate are the location where the truck is based, the MVR of the driver(s), and the insured value of the truck itself.

Get a good independent agent and they will tell you what the insurance companies want to see in order to get you the best rate.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.