Truck won't idle in temps over 19 degrees

Discussion in 'Celadon' started by FRUITLOOP, Nov 29, 2009.

1. FRUITLOOP

FRUITLOOP Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2009
    We were recently in the shop at Celadon, because the new bunk heaters in the 2010 was not working. After the problem was corrected, they hooked the computer up to the dash. Ever curious, I wanted to know what they were doing. The mecanic said we weren't gonna like it and he was right.
    First they turned the PTO back so the truck cannot Idle up. Then they turned the cold idle temp down to 19 degrees.
    We have been out here together for 25 years, and have seen some pretty freaky weather. Been caught in some bad snow storms and stuck in rest areas for a couple of days.
    These heaters run off diesel fuel and the fan runs on all 4 batteries. Celadon preaches winter safety, I THINK NOT!
    Lets just say we are caught in one of these freak storms and stuck in a rest area. The temp is 25 degrees. You have to sleep sometime, and cannot idle because its over 19 degrees. While you are asleep the batteries go dead, because of the heater. You have no Qual-com, because of no batteries. Maybe you have no cell service. And if you are stuck in a rest area, it stands to reason no one can get to you. You could freeze to death, how safe is that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. allcompanieslie

allcompanieslie Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2010
    If you have the names of the mechanics who told you this and did this, I think we could find out who is telling the truth. My truck, 2009 Prostar, would Idle # 36F. Otherwise, it didn't need to idle. The bunk heater did a good job of keeping me warm all night in the coldest of weather. I left Celadon and am quickly going back. They will at least keep you rolling if you keep that left door shut and stay out of the truck stops.

digger_423 Thanks this.
  4. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

After 25 years, perhaps it's time to retire !!!

Your replacement, with no experience graduates friday !!

Your (former) company can pay him less, and thus-save MORE money...

5. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    Our Company owner said that he would rather we Idle in the winter than allow the block to cool down and warm up over and over again. He would rather buy fuel than a overhaul a engine

6. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Wow, I'd like to work for that company!! I get whacked for idling when it's over 10F. Only allowed 5% idle time in winter.:biggrin_25510:

7. Dieseljunkie

Dieseljunkie Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Gladstone, OR
    You guys should read more on fuel....fuel these days already has antigel put in it. and engines these days dont need the warm up time they did years ago. With all the modern engines and computers.....your truck is fine even at 20 degrees

8. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    My Proheat was set so that when the voltage got down to 10.5 Volts, it would automatically shut down leaving enough battery power to start the truck.

9. digger_423

digger_423 Light Load Member

May 3, 2011
    Don't you mean, "...and keep BOTH doors shut."!

10. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Makes me wonder if the idle programming is set for CENTIGRADE, not FARENHEIT.... 19 degrees C is about 55 F... and might make sense why the truck wouldn't idle. Is there a metric v US/standard programming change that can be made in the truck or by a tech with a programmer?

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    It was 19 Fahrenheit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.