truck won't start volvo 2004 help pablo!

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by jaielv, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I just thought of something else it could be, does it stop running when you release the key switch, (disengaging the starter),? If so the switch is wire wrong, if not, see above post.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Taildragon

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Wired wrong, sorry

4. jaielv

jaielv Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    joliet,il
    no its not the wire in the switch it runs for about a minute a then shuts down I check the engine codes and it keeps giving me the j1939 communication error to the ecu it give me about 12 faults in that 1 minute that runs.so my best bet is the vecu. I guess no sign of pablo for some advice

5. Taildragon

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    While you were working down near the starter, would you have moved the ecm wiring loom any? Could be a loose connection or bad connection where the cable plugs in to the ecm, but I still think that you need to find out what the error codes mean before you spend any money on replacing anything.

6. jaielv

jaielv Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    joliet,il
    ok problem solved just did a hard reset on the vecu.thanks for volvo dealer thinking there the big #### and won't give and appointment to stick it up ur !!s .if I would have taken it to volvo I will have looked at about 1 week for repairs and $2000-$3000 short of money.volvo dealers sux big ones.

7. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    how did you do reset? really with Volvo to disconnect battery is useless. They all use Flash and EPROM memory. So.....

8. jaielv

jaielv Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    joliet,il
    exactly its like any other computer when it freezes.take all power out and it resets I did not only disconnected the batteries I also took out the vecu out .for a couple of hours reconnected it and work fine .i did replace the blown fuse # 81 before doing this .just came back from run and still fine no vecu problems.

9. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    it seems like SAK167 problem inside VECU. sometimes they die....

10. rafal76

rafal76 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I had similar problems, at first... engine running only on low rpms...then after a few hours truck was only running for 1-2 minutes and shutting down. I had the data link error message- my driver removed fuses 80 and 81 and put them back in and it fixed the problem. I don't know what those fuses do but it fixed the bug. thanks to reading your previous problems i tried all and fuse removal worked well for me. it probably did reset some electrical circuit...i took it to volvo and they didn't find anything wrong.

11. tim1986

tim1986 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    I have a same problem, but still nothing happens. I did all of above you guys posted but truck won't start. It was on a parking lot for a month while I was away, when I came back I cleaned batteries,wires and cables and managed to fire it up for a min or two then it shuts down. I replaced fuel filters as precaution, checked fuses everything seems ok but now doesn't want to even fire up. It's spinning, batteries are prrety much new, starter works but just doesn't want to start the engine. Like I said first day I managed to start the engine for couple minutes, btw there was smoke all over the place, engine was barely working and shuts down. Today after I replaced fuel filters doesn't even want to fire it up. Any other suggestions on how could I resolve this problem. Thank you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.