Trucker documents tornado devastation at Nashville terminal

Discussion in 'Other News' started by truckaholic001, Mar 3, 2020.

1. truckaholic001

truckaholic001 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Nevada
    Trucker documents tornado devastation at Nashville terminal
    [​IMG]

A truck driver shared video of the severe damage caused by powerful tornadoes at his Nashville truck terminal early this mornin
    Traccie McKay Hutchison
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

In the early hours of March 3, at least two tornadoes ripped through central Tennessee, killing at least nine people in four different counties.

Driver David Winder shared stunning video of the devastation caused by the tornado at the Nashville Western Express terminal.

Winder says that he was sleeping in his truck overnight when he was nearly sucked out of his truck by the tornado. He says that he feels blessed that he survived the night with just a few cuts and bruises.

Winder says that there were miraculously no casualties at the terminal.

D.Tibbitt, mjd4277, dan31186 and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Wow, any sirens or warnings put out on this or did that tornado just roll in? My condolences to those that lost any loved ones. That's always been a concern of mine being in a situation like that. There needs to be a better system in place to take shelter.

As for those Western Express trucks, they were going to get damaged anyway, better it happened in their parking lot than out on the highway.

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I deliver to Sysco which is next door to western express. Western express had just wrapped up construction on a new building.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They were nighttime tornados. The worst kind.

Nashville downtown east had video from one tower apt showing the thing illuminated by 4 transformers it destroyed otherwise other that roar wind you don't see *&^% in the dark. Sirens? Certainly. But once the power goes you have about a minute to three at most before it's in your block generally if not before.

We have several sirens that we can hear one is a special one that rode out the 1999 tornado as it destroyed the school it was deployed on. It was rebuilt and put back into service with that special bass tone. The new ones have the dual tone that really penetrates then switches to low roar during outbreaks that wont quit until the power quits.

The bass one is the one I hear best with that pitch matching my hearing from a few miles away and more than that when the wind is right. Its a single pitch.

What I hate are those who use older nuclear war attack sirens that rise and fall in both volume and pitch, I understand them to be tornado sirens generally but where we come from thats only for nuclear war.

Here is the old time sirens we used to have until they retired. You would hear the big V8 engine crank before it starts to open up. Burns the very fog for miles off.

Short history
    The Chrysler Air Raid Siren Was So Powerful it Could Induce Rain | Amusing Planet

video of some live today restored etc.

Fair warning after the engine start and the first minute get the volume down.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I went thru there 1 hr it hit... was a mess. I 40 was closed east of Nashville with trucks blown over. Downtown nashvill took a direct hit.
    Last I heard 29 fatalities...

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If thats the case then it's a bad day all around. Its pretty rare people are killed. I know one thing here in the south, there will be a sort of a chainsaw army (Volunteers from all over) coming on to help.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Holy S***!!!

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Tennessee Tornado Death Toll Jumps to 22; Widespread Damage in Nashville, Middle Tennessee | The Weather Channel

Nashville is no stranger to tornado activity.Part of the problem is the city’s location(geographical position).The city sits at the bottom of the Cumberland Plateau and as such, is surrounded by all sides by hills and mountainous terrain. It doesn’t matter which way you’re coming or going through the city you’re going down and going up hills! And if a tornado is coming you typically won’t see it until it’s already over the hills and by that point, it’s pretty much too late to take cover! Even more so if a tornado strikes at night!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.