Trucker starting a non- trucking part time job. What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by dextrdog, Apr 4, 2014.

1. dextrdog

dextrdog Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm starting a part time nights and weekends job. At my full time job i drive a tractor trailer and cannot drive over 60 per week. The part time job that I'm starting is using my own car delivering random things to hospitals etc. since I wouldn't be using a commercial vehicle, would it effect my 10 hours in between shifts and or 34 hour restart? I'm very confused when it comes to these laws. Seems like they're constantly changing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    yes and yes. Been that way since forever.

Studebaker Hawk and fuzzeymateo Thank this.
  4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Yep... On-Duty and counts towards your 70.

Any time you make money on a side job, it is considered On-Duty.

Studebaker Hawk and fuzzeymateo Thank this.
  5. fuzzeymateo

fuzzeymateo Heavy Load Member

May 20, 2013
    AZ

Absolutely right! Now the question is, are you going to report it or put this part-time job on your logbook?

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    yes that is the question... but remember, when you are on line 3 and are in a accident they can go back and look into your logs....just saying..

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    395 Definitions

On-duty time
    means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:

(1) All time at a plant, terminal, facility, or other property of a motor carrier or shipper, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;

(2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;

(3) All driving time as defined in the term driving time;

(4) All time in or on a commercial motor vehicle, other than:
    (i) Time spent resting in or on a parked vehicle, except as otherwise provided in § 397.5 of this subchapter;
    (ii) Time spent resting in a sleeper berth; or
    (iii) Up to 2 hours riding in the passenger seat of a property-carrying vehicle moving on the highway immediately before or after a period of at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth;

(5) All time loading or unloading a commercial motor vehicle, supervising, or assisting in the loading or unloading, attending a commercial motor vehicle being loaded or unloaded, remaining in readiness to operate the commercial motor vehicle, or in giving or receiving receipts for shipments loaded or unloaded;

(6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled commercial motor vehicle;

(7) All time spent providing a breath sample or urine specimen, including travel time to and from the collection site, to comply with the random, reasonable suspicion, post-crash, or follow-up testing required by part 382 of this subchapter when directed by a motor carrier;

(8. Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of, a motor carrier; and

(9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  8. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Here's a question, what if its a local driving job, and he/she doesn't fill out any logs- could he/she work that same part time job?

9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Then you would be using a punch in/out type of system and you still have HOS that govern that.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  10. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Yep...you must log all hours worked for anybody....by the book. On the PT thing...I get the need for money BUT consider this......

If you use your vehicle to deliver goods....and do not notify your auto ins. carrier you are doing this ( and pay the commercial premium ) and are involved in an accident.....you are not covered. You failed to disclose to the carrier that you are involved in a commercial operation.

This is why pizza stores, pharmacies , hot shot brokers etc. want you to use your car. Commercial insurance is very expensive plus the liability of being sued is too much of a burden to justify a car. ( to deliver pizza etc. )

Oh..and if your carrier finds out your moonlighting he's gonna be teaked. He might forbid you to continue or simply release you. You're a driver, you can't have enough money or you won't work. You only need just enough to get by so you will keep working.

Just sayin.....

Good luck

11. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    Yeah, this is why I though about donating my time to the local food bank driving their truck to other food banks and decided against it. If something happened either in their truck or 'my' truck, I didn't want to have to answer questions that'd get me into trouble.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.