TRUCKERS; ' How do you spend your 34 hrs?'

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tman78, Jul 5, 2018.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    (I'm not a OTR Trucker)

BUT, I understand you have to take 34 to take a break from Trucking. You get 34 after running 70hrs (i believe).

As an outsider, i'm thinking what can you do on your 34 (besides laundry, etc).
    • What are you able to do during your down time?
    • How do you prefer spending your down time?
    I was talking to my buddy who drives OTR, and he told me 50% of the time, he has to spend his in a 'remote area' somewhere.
    • If this is the case, what do you do ON your 34hr reset?
    • How do you enjoy your down time?
    ANYWAY, i thought to ask this not KNOWING much about the 34 hrs rule.

Thanks for your constructive input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    If i was stuck, id go find a hotel with a bar. But i go home most days and all weekend.

bryan21384 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You don't HAVE to sit for 34 hours continuous. Unless you're driving at a company who really runs you to the max (few do), you won't need to do 34 hour resets. In theory, you could drive/work about 8-9 hours a day from now until hell freezes over. A slow day or two (<4 hours) here and there in a week's time and you'll probably never be forced into a reset situation.

But if I must do a reset on the road. I'll usually pick a place as close as possible to my unload point, and drive up until I must stop for break. I'll usually stop someplace that is hotel adjacent, where I can do my first night in the truck and the second night in the motel [and not have to move the truck far enough to void the break]

But there's lots of ways to spend your time well, with some careful planning.

You never want to "throw away" more than about 8 hours on your 70 at the end of the work day unless it just works out where there's nothing else to do for that long. Never do a reset at the beginning or middle of a cross-country trip. Always wait until near the end.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I work for a company that we end our 70 hours at home terminal 99.99% of the time... So I spend my 34 at home.

However I have done a few resets on the road before... I like to clean my truck, drop trailer and go personal conveyance and go out to a nice restaurant, read, shower, do brain teaser puzzles... And get on TTR.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I nearly always take my 34 @ home.

I hang out at the house with my family. Maybe watch movies, play board games, cook some good food.

And do my laundry....

Puppage and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I'm a lazy guy off work so I sleep and play vidyagaymes.

VIDEODROME, homeskillet and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Im home every Friday 2pm, no Saturday, no sunday, back Monday morn. Monday - Friday local usually home everyday by 2. Spend lots of time with wife, cut grass, visit friends. I love my job, Ha,Ha,Ha

9. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    I was at one of my customers last week, a kid from Belize, he says im going to get my CDL and want to get a job at your company. Ha, Ha, Ha, i says , they wont hire you. You have no experience. they want people with 25 plus years, because they don't want to deal with ANY trouble. He says , OH. Ha, Ha, Ha, these kids think there going to walk into a company and start driving with no experience. NOT going to happen. Maybe with the mega dirt bag companies that pay peanuts.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I’m home everyday . I was smart enough to get out of the game lol

Wargames, DTP and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  11. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Just depends
    If I can pick a place close to decent Restaurants to walk to.
    If I take a reset, I need it. So I don't have too much choices.

I have never paid for a Hotel Room.

tman78 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.